PDA

View Full Version : do you use the bias adjustments when recording?

Danger Boy
02-06-2009, 10:25 AM
I have just learned about the bias adjustment on my Sony 555ES deck while recording. I know how it makes tapes sound when adjusted up or down... but do most people just leave it at zero and not mess with the bias dial?

just curious.

close652
02-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Is there anybody here who does not calibrate bias settings if available?

jbrainey
02-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Adjusting tape/head bias is one of the easiest adjustments you can make and gives you the max performance your tape offers. It's usually only available on upper-mid to top level machines. Consider yourself lucky if you have this option.

Larry N
02-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Danger Boy

That Onyko you just gave away it had a knob marked accubias, is that a bias adjustment and does that work for left and right pick up. Does that bring the recording imput to the right sound peaks.

Kenwood61
02-20-2009, 11:17 PM
I have a Yamaha TC-520 and after reading about how to use the Bias Adjust slider, I'm still at a loss on how to figure this out. There is a chart that shows some standard tapes like Maxell UDXL-I/II, UD, AD, and TDK SD, SA and a few more. But it looks like there are percentages ranging up to 5% that you could make the adjustment. I don't have this on my Nakamichi BX-1, so I've never had to figure it out . . .

Danger Boy
02-21-2009, 02:38 AM
Danger Boy

That Onyko you just gave away it had a knob marked accubias, is that a bias adjustment and does that work for left and right pick up. Does that bring the recording imput to the right sound peaks.

I dunno Larry... but I think it must be used to adjust the accu(bias).

I can't imagine it would be for anything else. The Onk is a two head machine.. so you can't monitor the recording as you can with a 3head deck. when I am recording on my Sony deck I can adjust the bias control and hear the difference as it's recording.

Nakdoc
02-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Most stand-alone bias controls, on decks with no built in oscillators, are just about useless. The Onkyo accubias with its color bands and specific recommendations by tape type was a good beginning. Without the ability to set record level calibration, bias adjustment is best left at center position (where you get flat response with whatever tape the manufacturer recommended).
BUT, tape formulas have changed. SA and SA-X are different. So now the bias control is more useful than in 1980. Here's how to set it by ear.
Turm FM muting off and find interstation hiss. Record this hiss at -20Vu, dolby off. On a 2 head deck, compare the playback with the tuner signal, matching the levels. To brighten a dull recording, move the bias control CCW (less bias). On a 3 head deck, monitor the record and set the bias for a slightly brighter recording (bias noise adds some brightness, so this compensates).

mrfoxboy
01-15-2010, 12:40 PM
I just use the auto-bias on the kenny. it records a two-tone at a very low level (doesn't show up on playback on the meters). How good is this? I do notice a much better recording when the auto-bias is on

DolbySProject
01-15-2010, 04:20 PM
On my KA1's (and 615S) I find this an indispensable added measure of control. It has allowed me to make good recordings on tapes I would have otherwise had to pass on. For instance, I have older black shell with label TDK-D's that have a pitiful treble response when recorded in my other decks, without a readily adjustable bias control. "Cranking" the bias control made them usable. In my system, to my ears, the difference can be night and day.

DirectDrive
05-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Yes I use the bias control, I have the Teac V-9000 and it has level and bias controls, and a CAL button for calibration. As I don't have the manual I do the calibration by ear, trying to obtain the best sound, and it can be easily done since this is a 3 head deck.

speakerman1
05-27-2010, 03:26 AM
I use the bias when I can see it. When it is just there I just leave it in the center. I don't use headphones much. So the 3rd head isn't much of a help for me.
Larry

Warped Bezel
05-27-2010, 05:51 AM
Is there anybody here who does not calibrate bias settings if available?

I set levels accordingly. I haven't had many, if any decks that allowed me to adjust bias externally.

I have recordings over 28 years old and especially 1985-99 where my deck until 2001 was a 1980 or '81 Sanyo and my phonograph was out of commission for seven years due to a breakdown and I was duping cassette singles and CDs after 1990. I also had my phonograph repaired around 2001 and eventually traded that one to a nearby eBay seller to drop the price on a pair of Altec Model Ones to 10 bucks.

Anyway, that Sanyo was about as Plain Jane as a treadle Singer and I'm glad I had to learn how to use it to it's best potential and the recording classes I had before the degree curriculum was dropped with me 1/2 way to an Associates in Music-Recording Technology back in '92.

JaeTee
05-28-2010, 07:38 AM
I dunno Larry... but I think it must be used to adjust the accu(bias).

I can't imagine it would be for anything else. The Onk is a two head machine.. so you can't monitor the recording as you can with a 3head deck. when I am recording on my Sony deck I can adjust the bias control and hear the difference as it's recording.

I highly recommend you find the manual for your Onkyo and read up on proper use of the accubias feature. It is actually a very good system, IMHO.

In case you can't find the manual with the description... try this and let us know how it works... I had the Onkyo Integra TA-2058 and used it for years before I found that proper use of the Onkyo accubias requires disabling HX Pro (assuming you can turn that off) and then setting the deck into record/pause mode when you know for sure that you've got magnetic tape (no leader) over the head.

Only then should you press the accubias button and the deck will (or should) record the required test tones onto the tape for approx 6 seconds. During that time, the deck will automatically select the best possible bias setting for that tape. The deck should then rewind to the point where you started and park itself in "ready to record" mode.

Then, turn on HX Pro again (again, assuming you have one of the Onkyo units that allow this) and whatever other NR you wish to use (B or C) and then start your recording.

If you hit play (rather than record) after setting the accubias, you should hear six seconds of test tone on your tape.

mark902
07-25-2011, 07:04 PM
i always adjust the bias and record sensitivity when making a tape. the radio static tip that nakdoc suggested is the best, easiest way with a deck like the k555es. i used to use music but the static only takes a second, the difference is much more noticeable.

the thing that always confused me about the 555es is that it doesn't have record sensitivity adjustment, but the 444es does. and the 666es does, and the 777es does. so strange.