audioribbon
11-02-2011, 01:15 AM
A>>> THE VELVET UNDERGROUND AND NICO (1967) 1st album
B>>> THE VELVET UNDERGROUND (1969) 3rd album
source mp3 db-NRb peak at +3 recorded on a JVC
ps- andy warhol sucks *shoot*

audioribbon
11-02-2011, 01:34 AM
I haven't seen a Skinny Puppy tape before and good to know that other people like them here. *bigthumbup*

they're Vancouver based for the most part, i'm on vancouver island, so the music's always been around, and they were on Capitol Records (Network Records early years <Moev> before Network got all corporate and began signing boring coffee house bands) which made em more accessible. There were lots of Puppy "Remission" shirts and posters floatin around back in the mid-late 80's that's for sure, and that long hair in the front cut on an angle down to the chin and shaved right up the back we all used to wear...

west coast vibe in the mid-late 80's... i still feel it now, almost hittin 40. sheeeeyawt...

vince666
11-02-2011, 05:19 AM
no issues at all. worked really really well. no creasing on the tape either. in fact, i think it sounds "better" than the TDK METAL tape, and the record input works even if it peaks beyond +10... which blows my mind, it didn't even distort. and with the dolby on icould not for the life of me hear tape hiss unless i cranked the playback volume all the way up full at that silence between tracks with headphones.

i'll be keepin my eyes open for DATs from now on that's fer sure!

nice to know! *flame*

if i ever find some DAT tape i guess i'll give it a try... *hope*

CHEERS,

Vince.

audioribbon
11-04-2011, 07:44 AM
MAXELL CAPSULE UDII 100
extended range low distortion
round window cassette shell
>SKINNY PUPPY - face1: HanDover, face2: Back & Forth (favorite excerpts)

ERASED BIBLE STUDY CASSETTE
*PRE-RE-EQUALIZED SOURCE PLAYBACK TO IMPROVE SOUND RECORDED, AND TO ALSO COMPENSATE FOR CASSETTE BEING RECORDED ONTO (two birds with one stone).
>SKINNY PUPPY - face1&2: SpinOff (1986/1988 live at 930CLUB)

RED HAPPY TAPE C90 LOW-NOISE
>THE VELVET UNDERGROUND - face1: VU (67-69), face2: VU 2nd (Another View 67-69)

*check*

as usual, NR SYSTEM: DOLBY-B IS ON, deck: JVC KD-V200.
this time, source mp3, playback ACER LAPTOP & Sony IC Recorder ICD-SX712.

Nightowl
11-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Well My CT-W606DR has officially died *fit*. I have stripped it off all its still usable parts and took the reminants out to the desert and shot it. Repeatedly. I'm really bummed about losing this deck but it does live on as I took the clutches out of it and transplanted them into my CT-W604RS to get that one back into running condition untill I can find a suitable replacement. In the mean time I recorded these on it last night:

Tape: Maxell UR 90 (1986)
NR: C
1980's vol. 11,12

Dont You Want Me - Human Leauge
La Isla Bonita - Maddona
Goodbye To You - Scandal
Here Comes The Rain Again - Eurythmics
Lights Out - Peter Wolf
Miss Me Blind - Culture Club
Obsession - Animotion
Run To You - Bryan Adams
Naughty Naughty - John Parr
Beds Are Burning - Midnight Oil
Higher Love - Steve Winwood
Human - Human Leauge
Lucky Star - Maddona
Modern Love - David Bowie
She's A Beauty - The Tubes
Suddenly Last Summer - The Motels
Time - Culture Club
Fantasy - Aldo Nova
Hold The Line - Toto
Its My Life - Talk Talk

1980's vol. 12, 13

Only Time Will Tell - Aisa
Sharp Dressed Man - ZZ Top
Summer Of 69 - Bryan Adams
Turn Me Loose - Loverboy
Who's That Girl - Maddona
Man In Motion - John Parr
I Want A New Drug - Huey Lewis & The News
Out Of Touch - Hall & Oats
Abacab - Genesis
Fascination - Human League
For Your Eyes Only - Sheena Easton
Major Tom - Peter Schilling
Mandolin Rain - Bruce Hornsby & The Range
Some Like It Hot - The Power Station
Somebodys Baby - Jackson Browne
Toy Soldiers - Martika
Trouble - Lindsey Buckingham
Video Killed The Radio Star - The Buggles
Yah Mo Be There - Michael McDonald & Luther Ingram

Nightowl
11-07-2011, 02:03 AM
Well Im finally able to see the light at the end of the tunnel!! I've used all my Maxell 84-86 edition UR tapes and now im using the 88 version.

NR:C
1980,s vol. 13,14

Red Red Wine - UB40
Power Of Love - Huey Lewis & The News
Private Eyes - Hall & Oats
Slow Hand - Pointer Sisters
You Got Lucky - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Rapture - Blondie
Owner Of A Lonely Heart - Yes
Land Of Confusion - Genesis
Freeze Frame - J Giles Band
Limelight - Rush
Poison Arrow - ABC
Tarzan Boy - Baltimora
I Heard A Rumour - Bananarama
Get Outta My Dreams Get Into My Car - Billy Ocean
Nightshift - Commodors
Party All The Time - Eddie Murphy
Sweet Dreams - Eurythmics
Hold Me - Fleetwood Mac
Good Thing - Fine Young Cannibals
Tenderness - General Public
On The Wings Of Love - Geffery Osbourne

1980's vol. 15,16

Cruel Summer - Bananaramma
When The Going Gets Tough - Billy Ocean
Tell Me Lies - Fleetwood Mac
Wheel In The Sky - Journey
If I Can't Have You - Kim Wilde
Fresh - Kool & The Gang
Pop Muzik - M
One Night In Bangkok - Murray Head
Call Me Al - Paul Simon
If Ever Your Im My Arms Again - Peabo Bryson
Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley
Do Ya Think Im Sexy - Rod Stewart
No One Like You - Scorpions
Stop Draggin My Heart Around - Tom Petty & Stevie Nicks
If You Love Someone Set Them Free - Sting
Talk Talk - Talk Talk
Can You Feel It - The Jacksons
I Wont Back Down - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Passion - Rod Stewart
You Keep Me Hanging On - Kim Wilde

Tape:Maxell UR 90 (1986)
1980's vol. 16,17

Together Forever - Rick Astley
Still Loving You - Scorpions
Refugee - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
I Still Havnt Found What Im Looking For - U2
Everybody Have Fun Tonight - Wang Chun
Drive - The Cars
Burning Heart - Survivor
Open Arms - Journey
Live To Tell - Madonna
Young Turks - Rod Stewart
Venus - Bananaramma
The Breakup Song - Greg King Band
Im So Excited - Pointer Sisters
Dancing In Heaven - Q-Feel
Just Got Lucky - Jo Boxers
Flashdance - Irene Cara
That Girl - Stevie Wonder
Purple Rain - Prince
Gypsy - Fleetwood Mac

Tape:Maxell UR 90 (1988)
1980's vol. 17,18

Nothings Gonna Change My Love For You - Glenn Mederios
Learning To Fly - Pink Floyd
Give Me The Night - George Benson
You Can Do Magic - America
Hold On Loosely - 38 Special
Into The Night - Benny Madrones
Invisible Sun - The Police
Loves Light In Flight - Stevie Wonder
Cry - Godley & Creme
Too Much Time On My Hands - Styx
Don't Take It Personal - Jermaine Jackson
The Beautiful Ones - Prince
Bizarre Love Triangle - New Order
Oppertunities - Pet Shop Boys
If You Leave - OMD
Shock The Monkey - Peter Gabriel
Need You Tonight - INXS
Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
Will You Still Love Me - Chicago
Dont Go - Yazoo
The Wild Boys - Duran Duran

Almost Done!!

vince666
11-07-2011, 08:14 AM
wow! a whole lot of nice 80's mixtapes! *bigthumbup*

ianC90
11-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Tape: Maxell XLII
NR: B
Source: Sony PS1350 TT
Deck: Yamaha KX-930

Side A
Roxy Music: Virginia Plain
T-Rex: Mambo Sun
Mott the Hoople: Drivin' Sister
Patti Smith: Hey Joe
Lou Reed: Wild Child
Blondie: In The Flesh
Eno: Cindy Tells Me
Bowie: Diamond Dogs
N.Y. Dolls: Subway Train
Big Star: Back Of A Car
Television: See No Evil
Modern Lovers: Roadrunner

Side B
Sparks: Amateur Hour
Kate Bush: Wuthering Heights
John Cale: Heartbreak Hotel
Ducks Deluxe: Two-Time Twister
Mink DeVille: Cadillac Walk
Graham Parker: Don't Ask Me Questions
Nick Lowe: No Reason
Robert Gordon w. Link Wray: Lonesome Train
Dave Edmunds: The Promised Land
Nick Drake: Three Hours
Toots and The Maytals: Funky Kingston

Nightowl
11-08-2011, 06:46 PM
I finally reached the end pf my 80's mix collection. at least for now as it always seems to grow whenever I hear songs I totally forgot about!

Tape: Maxell UR 90 (1988)

1980's vol. 18,19

Everybody Wants To Rule The World - Tears For Fears
West End Girls - Pet Shop Boys
The Sun Always Shines On TV - A-Ha
I Should Be So Lucky - Kyle Minouge
Spirits In The Material World - The Police
Seperate Ways - Journey
Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel
So In Love - OMD
What Have I Done To Deserve This - Pet Shop Boys
New Sensation - INXS
And We Danced - The Hooters
Black Velvet - Alanah Miles
Beat It - Michael Jackson
Living Inside Myself - Gino Vanelli
Careless Whisper - Wham
Destination Unknown - Missing Persons
Miles Away - Winger
Strut - Sheena Easton
True Faith - New Order
Maneater - Hall & Oats
Look Away - Chicago

1980's vil 19,20

Poison - Alice Cooper
I Keep Forgetting - Michael McDonald
Big Log - Robert Plant
Do You Belive In Love - Huey Lewis & The News
Say You Say Me - Lionel Ritchie
Dreamin - Vanessa Williams
Alone Again - Dokken
Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper
Only In My Dreams - Debbie Gibson
Better Be Good To Me - Tina Turner
The Woman In Love - Barbra Streisand
Hard Habit To Break - Chicago
Cant We Try - Dan Hill & Vonda Sheppard
I Cant Tell You Why - Eagles
Like A Virgin - Madonna
Never Gonna Let You Go - Sergio Mendes
Walk The Dinosaur - Was (Not Was)
Right On Track - The Breakfast Club
Steppin Out - Joe Jackson
Cool Night - Paul Davis
Endless Summer Nights - Richard Marx

1980's vol. 20,21

I Got You - Split Enz
Torture - The Jacksons
Tired Of Toein' The Line - Rocky Burnett
Hands To Heaven - Breathe
Foolish Heart - Journey
Empty Garden - Elton John
True Colors - Cyndi Lauper
Bounce Back - Fire On Blonde
Dynamite - Jermaine Jackson
Cruel To Be Kind - Nick Lowe
You Are - Lionel Ritchie
Dead Mans Party - Oingo Boingo
Foolish Beat - Debbie Gibson
Shes Like The Wind - Patrivk Swayze
Get It On (Bang A Gong) - Robert Palmer
Two Of Hearts - Stacey Q
Magic - The Cars
We Dont Need Another Hero - Tina Turner
You Got It All - The Jets
Let Me Be The One - 5 Star

Well Thats it. This little project cost me my digital Pioneer deck but I now have a great collection of mix CD's on tape. And I did manage to find an identical deck that I bought and is now on the way to me so its not a total loss. This was the biggest recording project Iv'e ever done and now I cant wait to get started on the next one. Maybe 1970's..........

vince666
11-12-2011, 07:02 PM
finally i tried one that, IMO, is a WONDERFUL tape... That's MR-X PRO! *bigthumbup*

http://www.tapeheads.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=24592&d=1321147936

today i bought the new 2011 vinyl re-releases of "The Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd and put them on a That's MR-X PRO c90 when playing them for the first time.

http://www.tapeheads.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=24590&d=1321147936

http://www.tapeheads.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=24591&d=1321147936

i recorded these new vinyl LPs with my beloved modified Technics RS-B965M with dolby B and, being the output of the turntable generally lower than the CD player, i put the big input-level knob on my deck at 8 to reach the required level for this nice metal tape (this image below)...

http://www.tapeheads.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=24589&d=1321147936

funny that, while calibrating, i tried to intentionally overload the tape to discover its limits (with the previous 2003 re-release of "Dark Side" on vinyl which i played just to calibrate the tape) and so i turned the Rec-level knob to the max and still the tape didn't sound so noticeably distorted... *eyepop**eyepop**eyepop*

i guess this tape can take at least as much level as the Metal ES but it seems it is much easier to calibrate (definitely more compatible!) and perhaps even with a slightly more "neutral" sound... the recording was virtually undistinguishable from the vinyl source itself and, of course, it turned out to be really dynamic and full.... IMHO, this is an AWESOME tape... one of the very best i tried. *hearts* (the 3,80 euros i paid it were really spent well *bigthumbup*)

next time i will try the That's SUONO which should be another 3,80 euros spent even better. *hope*

CHEERS,

Vince.

CottonSwab
11-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Nice tape Vince and thanks for the pics too. I think "That's" is a very nice tape I have a few here the MH-100 series I am saving for some special recordings thay came highly recommended to me.

I'd say you have a nice find there and certainly had some fun with those tapes. The Floyd albums are very cool. That's good music I'm sure it plays to tape well from the new pressing.

vince666
11-13-2011, 05:17 AM
yes, these new pressings are fine. *flame*

anyway, i noticed my old press of "wish you were here" (from late 70's) has the side1 pressed at higher recording level than this new one... i should find another old pressing of this album in better conditions than my old one which was played at least 100 times over the years. *devil*

anyway, perhaps it's just the vinyl, but also this new press has that typical warm timbre that i liked a lot while any CD release of this same album is damnly cold... and it's funny this new vinyl was pressed just from a new digital remaster... *scratchchin*

btw, even if these new vinyl releases are really fine, i tend to prefer the old pressings slightly more as Floyd vinyl LPs are famous to have been pressed with a great quality. *wink*

CHEERS,

Vince.

Dazen1
11-13-2011, 10:09 AM
finally i tried one that, IMO, is a WONDERFUL tape... That's MR-X PRO! *bigthumbup*

The MR-X Pro is a really superb cassette.

Dare I say it?

(It is much better than any Maxell metal I have ever tried... ) *quiet*

In fact, I like it so much, I'm going to change my avatar in honour of it for the next 48 hours!

Big Kelv
11-13-2011, 10:54 AM
today i bought the new 2011 vinyl re-releases of "The Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd and put them on a That's MR-X PRO c90 when playing them for the first time.

http://www.tapeheads.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=24590&d=1321147936

http://www.tapeheads.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=24591&d=1321147936

i recorded these new vinyl LPs with my beloved modified Technics RS-B965M with dolby B and, being the output of the turntable generally lower than the CD player, i put the big input-level knob on my deck at 8 to reach the required level for this nice metal tape (this image below)...

http://www.tapeheads.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=24589&d=1321147936

funny that, while calibrating, i tried to intentionally overload the tape to discover its limits (with the previous 2003 re-release of "Dark Side" on vinyl which i played just to calibrate the tape) and so i turned the Rec-level knob to the max and still the tape didn't sound so noticeably distorted... *eyepop**eyepop**eyepop*

i guess this tape can take at least as much level as the Metal ES but it seems it is much easier to calibrate (definitely more compatible!) and perhaps even with a slightly more "neutral" sound... the recording was virtually undistinguishable from the vinyl source itself and, of course, it turned out to be really dynamic and full.... IMHO, this is an AWESOME tape... one of the very best i tried. *hearts* (the 3,80 euros i paid it were really spent well *bigthumbup*)

next time i will try the That's SUONO which should be another 3,80 euros spent even better. *hope*

CHEERS,

Vince.

Nice one Vince, I've just taken delivery of the WYWH Immersion box set. Never in my dreams did I think the album could sound better. The icing on the cake is the blue ray with the surround mix from 2009, 1974 quad mix and original stereo - all in glorious 24/96! I'm still deciding on a tape worthy of the recording.

It's right up there with the Beatles remasters from last year, just waiting for the Wall now.

Regards, Kelv

vince666
11-13-2011, 04:30 PM
The MR-X Pro is a really superb cassette.

Dare I say it?

(It is much better than any Maxell metal I have ever tried... ) *quiet*

In fact, I like it so much, I'm going to change my avatar in honour of it for the next 48 hours!

GREAT! *bigthumbup*

relistening to it today, i must say the MR-X PRO is the best metal i've ever used along with the old Sony Metal ES (i have the wide window version of the ES)... perhaps the ES has a bit less hiss but both will give you back a superb sound... and this MR-X PRO seems more "IEC aligned" than the ES so it is a bit easier to calibrate properly. *bigthumbup*

of course, still i didn't try the That's SUONO which will probably outperform the MR-X PRO and the Metal ES... *hope*

Nice one Vince, I've just taken delivery of the WYWH Immersion box set. Never in my dreams did I think the album could sound better. The icing on the cake is the blue ray with the surround mix from 2009, 1974 quad mix and original stereo - all in glorious 24/96! I'm still deciding on a tape worthy of the recording.

It's right up there with the Beatles remasters from last year, just waiting for the Wall now.

Regards, Kelv

really i still didn't listen carefully to the new remaster of WYWH in digital form... but i'm happy that this "digitally remastered" vinyl is not as "cold" as the older CD versions i know and i strongly hated...

for me this album is a bit particular... it is one of the first Floyd albums i ever bought (on vinyl of course) and i listened to it a LOT of times directly from the vinyl during the 80's... but, one day during the late 80's, a friend of mine bought a CD player and WYWH on CD... (i still didn't have a CD player myself)... so just WYWH was the first CD i've ever listened to... and i clearly remember that just after the first few seconds when Rick's keyboards begin to fade-in at the beginning of "ShineOn" i soon said: "hey, this CD is incredibly clean but it's damnly cold sounding! *eyepop* I prefer the vinyl LP by far! *hearts*"
Of course, i bought my CD player not before 1991 and anyway i always bought vinyl LPs even when i had the CD player and i bought CDs only if i wasn't able to find a vinyl release of a certain album... and about WYWH (and Floyds in general) i was much happier with vinyls than with digital formats... and so, even if today they released that incredible "immersion" box, i was tempted to buy only the new vinyl re-release of this album. *devil*

do figure... with these new vinyl i can freely download even the mp3 versions at 320kbits from the official PF website using the codes they put inside the vinyl LPs... and i didn't even bothered to download them! so, no thanks... i'm happy with the vinyls... don't give me any mp3 files! eheheh *lmao*

anyway, i still tend to believe the old pressings of this album may sound even a bit more pleasant than this new release as they seem even warmer and fuller... (and i did the comparison just with my old WYWH vinyl LP which was played at least 100 times over the years *wink*)

a tape for your new immersion box? it's simple... go with UX-PRO or with a good metal tape! *bigthumbup*

sorry for the off-topic bits... *embarrased*

CHEERS,

Vince.

Elite-ist
11-13-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm thinking of buying Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" Immersion box set. I have a mix tape I recorded from my brother-in-law's LP not long after he bought it in the mid 70's.

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx322/vintagevet/LesX55%20Mix%20Tape/DSC06595.jpg

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx322/vintagevet/LesX55%20Mix%20Tape/DSC06596.jpg

Nando.

audioribbon
11-14-2011, 02:36 AM
jeeze lookit all that good stuff with the pink floyd there. heard that syd showed up during the recording session of "wish..." and they didn't even recognize him standing there, hair shaved off, fatter, and a toothbrush in his mouth while he was jumping up and down going through some form of emotional miasmic reactions at the "reunion". i suppose that would account for everyone in the room i would guess. i'm almost tempted to post photos of my pink floyd lp's, but i guess that's not necessary. this might be, here ya go: http://pinkfloydbootlegplanet.blogspot.com/ (are we allowed to post links? guess so)

tonight's tape recording images of holographic proportions:

TAPE: SCOTCH C-60 HIGHLANDER/LOW NOISE in a clear blue shell / white label
SOURCE: http://www.livestream.com/projectcamelotlive
recorded livetime with the dolby ON B, dunno why cuzz it's speech. habit, i guess.
input dialed up to touch base at +3dB
topic: Dogon Dialect

24613246142461524616*wave*

LesX55
11-14-2011, 04:29 AM
I bought the Discovery versions of Wish you were here/Animals/The Wall and Division Bell.
They all sound very good, but i agree with Vince about the vinyl version of the Wall ( mine is 79 pressing ) sounding better than the remastered cd

I have recorded all of these onto Sony Metal ES ( narrow window/infinity shell )with out Dolby, levels at +7

CottonSwab
11-14-2011, 05:27 AM
....i agree with Vince about the vinyl version of the Wall ( mine is 79 pressing ) sounding better than the remastered cd

I have that copy put away it is like new. I can remember listening to it nights on end back in 79. I should think about putting it to a new cassette. I have it on TDK SA-90 with Dolby B from 1979. My Aiwa AD6500 had the old style VU meters so I suspect the levels are low. I should get it out!

Thanks for the jog Les! *reelspin*

LesX55
11-14-2011, 06:51 AM
I love those old Aiwa decks!!
Would just love to get my hands on one, especially the 6900II

Also, maybe put this classic onto a Metal....:)

CottonSwab
11-14-2011, 07:39 AM
I love those old Aiwa decks!!
Would just love to get my hands on one, especially the 6900II

Also, maybe put this classic onto a Metal....:)

Mine needs new belts is all (I hope). The only ones available are for the AD6550 which is pretty much the same deck with a bias adjust. If the transport is the same I'm set. When I put it away back in 1990, the FF/RW was finished. The belts were goo! *eyepop*

I took it out of storage a few months ago, powered it on and she lit up like new. Looking inside everything looked just fine. The flywheel is as big as a hockey puck!

The sound from that deck was gorgeous and in the day I used only TDK SA90's and Maxell XLII (S). Many memories there.

Yeah I should put the Wall on a metal tape. I don't have alot of experience with them so it will be a first!

vince666
11-14-2011, 07:45 AM
They all sound very good, but i agree with Vince about the vinyl version of the Wall ( mine is 79 pressing ) sounding better than the remastered cd

really i was talking about Wish You Were Here vinyls/CD versions...

but i must strongly agree about The Wall too... i have a first italian press from 1979 which, even after a LOT of plays, still sounds incredibly fine and definitely BETTER than the CD versions...

anyway, i tend to believe that finally the Floyds did some decent CD remasterings with a bit warmer sound than before this year... but the vinyls are the vinyls anyway, especially the old pressings where the digital was not involved into the mastering process! *bigthumbup*

of course i like every single bit of music from the Floyds (i am an hardcore fan of them since my childhood) but my two favourite albums are Animals and the studio album from Ummagumma! *devil*

about Animals i have two copies (one in mint conditions) of the first italian press from 1977 and they do sound better than the common CD releases...

and about Ummagumma i have an italian 80's reissue, and the very first two UK pressings (from 1969 and 1971)... and i must say the early UK versions do sound an OCEAN better than the italian 80's vinyl pressing and the CD versions... and it's curious to notice that the CD version i have of Ummagumma has a strange high level tape-hiss on the last track (The Grand Vizier's Garden Party) which is absent on the vinyls... *eyepop*

so, the superiority of the vinyl versions of Floyd albums over the CDs should be true for any album... but perhaps this year they did the "digital" things a bit better (even if the early vinyl pressings are unbeatable, IMO).

last thing... did you notice that on some older CD releases of "More" there are some crackles on the beginning of the first track? (Cirrus Minor)
and some tiny clicks here and there are also in the older CD releases (pre 1994) of "the piper at the gates of dawn"... *headache*

CHEERS,

Vince.

ksvane
11-16-2011, 04:08 AM
Axia PS 1 80
Maria McKee: "Life Is Sweet" (1996 album) + B-sides etc.

A.
1. Scarlover
2. This Perfect Dress
Magdelaine
Amnesia Blues (Sandpaper Clues) [B-side]
[B]3. Absolutely Barking Stars
Ribbons
Her I Shred [B-side]
[B]4. I'm Not Listening
5. Everybody
6. Smarter

B.
7. What Else You Wanna Know
8. I'm Awake
9. Human
10. Carried
11. Life Is Sweet + Afterlife
No Big Bang [Recorded 1996 w/ The Heads]
Anathema [Recorded during the Life Is Sweet sessions]
Life Is Sweet [B-Side/Alternative Version]
If You Were Still Around [Recorded Live 1996]

audioribbon
11-19-2011, 10:13 AM
p r o t e k p x 1 9 0
e m b a s s y g o l d c 6 0
a c m e c 6 0

husker du's new day rising 85 and everything falls apart 82 and also the land speed record 81 live. no core compilation 82 featuring coc, colcor, no stars, no labels. slow death cassettes compilation 83 and it had 5051, the injections, skullbusters, sacred lies, social spit, personal conflict, moral majority, men of clay, manifest destiny, district tradition, batallion of saints, black tango, the front, and also catch 22.

not too concerned about the quality for these particular ones, hence the tapes used, just attempting to emulate some of the sorts of BOTL tapes i had in Jr School used in BOTL ghetto blasters when non-mainstream bands were dubbed up to 10th generation copies. it's got that faded off-white worn sound, which i like, for these ones. don't ask.

audioribbon
11-20-2011, 05:11 AM
MAXELL XLII-110
tape was loaded into a clear grey shell casing with reflective silver slip sheets. with a gloss kodak cover sheet.
source mp3. dolbyB ON. typeII. peak +3.
input EQ was notched up slightly in the 15-50khz range.
GOLDIE: TIMELESS 1995 (double cd version, plus tracks from single cd version)

TDK D90 / MAXELL UR90
tapes were loaded into black shell casing and white labels were affixed. with gloss kodak cover sheets, one white with black typeface, one black with white typeface. the white version is for a friend.
source mp3. dolbyB ON. typeI. peak +3.
EQ adjusted (varied).
mp3>TDK. TDK dubbed to MAXELL direct at normal speed.
VOIVOD: DEMOTAPE 1984 aka: To The Death

ianC90
11-23-2011, 03:55 PM
I usually make tapes with 12 to 15 tracks a side, but the intended listener for this tape loves extended mixes, jams, etc.

Tape: Maxell UR 90
Dolby: N/A
Deck: Yamaha Kx930

Side 1-
Laurie Anderson: Say Hello/Walk The Dog
Can: Bring Me Coffee Or Tea
Mothers Of Invention: King Kong
King Crimson: Easy Money
Velvet Underground: Heroin (live '69)
Nico: Little Sister

Side 2-
Jethro Tull: By Kind Permission Of
Soft Machine: Out-Bloody-Rageous
Pink Floyd: Interstellar Overdrive
Laurie Anderson: Big Science

Copyhat
11-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Thinking about what to put on a "brand new" TDK MA-90 from 1992...
Anyone got some ideas?
LP libary consists of ~ 650 pcs, 60's-contemporary rock, pop and metal :)

Nevermind:

Side one goes to Gary Moore - Still Got the Blues

Deck: Beocord 9000
Dolby Off
Bias and VU meter calibrated and hitting +2 dB

Copyhat
11-25-2011, 12:41 PM
B-side: Eagles, their greatest 1972-1975

Maxell MX from 1979:
Deck: Beocord 9000
Dolby off

Side A and B: Kamelot, tracks from Ghost Opera and the Black Halo.
*reelspin**reelspin*

audioribbon
12-02-2011, 12:19 AM
maxell professional communicator series c60
source mp3> sony pcm recorder> technics m218
dolby NR in
peaks at the little dolby symbols (+3dB)

first time using this tape deck, just got it while on vacation. first time using a maxell communicator series cassette tape. it's for a friend.

band: MC5
album: it's a bootleg.

Flick
12-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Made a mix tape for an old friend. Hopefully the first of many to come.

Side A

Might As Well Be A Slave - Mary Black
Ruby Tuesday - Mary Stewart
Let It Shine - Rebekah Pulley
Summer Wind Cotton Dress - Richard Shindell
The Erin Boat - John and Phil Cunningham
Satisfaction - Bubblerock
Rock Around The Clock - Bubblerock
The Parting Glass - The High Kings
Agile-N - Leo Kottke
Little Martha - Allman Brothers
Ghost Of A Rose - Blackmore's Night
I Go To Pieces - Peter and Gordon
Lies - The Knickerbockers
Leave The Light On - Chris Smither
Five Hundred Miles - The Journeymen
Dandelion - The Rolling Stones

Side B

Here In My Heart - Susan Ashton
Hey Bulldog - The Beatles
Try - Janis Joplin
Pride and Joy - Stevie Ray Vaughn
An unknown acoustic guitar song I have never been able to identify. Recorded off FM radio around 1970
Inside These Arms - Marti Jones
Silent Anticipation - Michael Hedges
What You Do With What You Got - Gordon Bok
Ireland - Gregg Trooper Band
We Won't Dance - Gregg Trooper Band
Blood Upon The Snow - Laura Burns and Roger Rosen
Dreamer or Believer - Harvey Reid
Don't You Rock 'Em Daddy-o (Sail Away Ladies) - The Womenfolk
Thunderbuck Ram - Mott the Hoople
For The Love of Ivy - The Mamas and the Papas

audioribbon
12-07-2011, 01:35 AM
the cure (bloodflowers, 4:13 dream)
the glove (blue sunshine, +demos)
source: cd>mp3>analog, typeI, dolby NR IN, deck Technics m218 (value village $14.99)
tapes: scotch bx90 (25cents), sony hf60 (25cents), akai c60 (50cents)
fujifilm color inlay case sheets (29 cents each)
*reelspin*

Time_Stand_Still
12-07-2011, 02:23 AM
Just finished recording a B.O.C. (Blue Oyster Cult) Some Enchanted Evening, LP onto a Fuji DR-1 using the thrift store buy, Kenwood KX-3010 deck.

Not the best live LP ever but the deck laid down the tracks just fine onto the DR-1.

You gotta love Godzilla, Don't Fear the Reaper and We gotta get out of this Place to name but three songs on the LP.*reelspin**reelspin*

darkstar078
12-07-2011, 03:32 AM
Yesterday I put some Amon Tobin on a TDK MA-110 cassette.
Amon Tobin is a soundwizzard and he is one of Ninja Tunes finest.
Weird? No. Musical? Yet different. Great label like Mo'Wax was once.
Anyone into dubstep, I need advice so PM me.

Side A: Cujo -Adventures In Foam
Cat People
Northstar
Fat Ass Joint
Ol' Bunkhouse
Paris Streatham
A Vida
Break Charmer
The Method
On The Track

Side B: Tracks from Permutation / Bricolage / Supermodified
Like Regular Chicken
Bridge
Saboteur
Chocolate Lovely
Stoney Street
Easy Muffin
New York Editor
One Day In My Garden
Get Your Snacks On
Four Tone Mantis

jazzgene
12-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Sony Metal XR

Gary Peacock and Bill Frisell

analog fan
12-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Dean Martin's A Winter Romance on side A
Bing's Merry Christmas (Decca 1960 version) side B
Both from vinyl

Patrik
12-09-2011, 02:33 AM
Hi!
Is that the Sony ICD-SX712D?
How do you find the sound quality when in linear PCM mode?
Regards

maxell professional communicator series c60
source mp3> sony pcm recorder> technics m218
dolby NR in
peaks at the little dolby symbols (+3dB)

first time using this tape deck, just got it while on vacation. first time using a maxell communicator series cassette tape. it's for a friend.

band: MC5
album: it's a bootleg.

macster
12-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Just did a test run with 1 side of a NAC Chrome using Pearl Bailey. She is singing her heart out. Now to do the other side with some Ray Charles. This ought to give me a good idea of what to expect from this deck and the NAC tapes.

M~

audioribbon
12-11-2011, 06:16 AM
Hi!
Is that the Sony ICD-SX712D?
How do you find the sound quality when in linear PCM mode?
Regards

yes, it is. sounds amazing. has a direct stereo line in 1/8th jack as well, you set the recording levels and away you go. the mics are pretty good too. drag n drop your audios, edit them in your favorite programs, load audio onto it etc etc etc. got er for half price.*bigthumbup*

audioribbon
12-11-2011, 06:33 AM
band/project> front 242
source cd>mp3>tape
dolby IN
fujifilm inlay cards

tape1: maxell XLII110
side1> 05:22:09:12 Off
side2> 06:21:03:11 Up Evil

tape2: library tape new erased re-shelled into clear housing
side1+2> P.U.L.S.E.

KottkeHead
12-14-2011, 06:33 PM
SIDE A
1. AC/DC - Highway To Hell
2. Stevie Ray Vaugan - Mary Had A Little Lamb
3. Donavon Frankenreiter - Such A Night
4. Creedence - Up Around The Bend
5. Van Morrison - Real Real Gone
6. Beach House - Walk In The Park
7. The Smashing Pumpkins - Stuck In The Middle With Fluke (Vox Mix)
8. Michael Jackson - Remember The Time
9. Amy Winehouse - Fuck Me Pumps (Live In London)
10. Jamiroquai - Deeper Underground
11. Buddy Guy - Let The Door Knob Hit Ya
12. The Animals - Bring It On Home To Me

SIDE B
1. Pearl Jam - Animal
2. Gary Moore - walking By Myself
3. Willy DeVille - Betty & Dupree (Live in Berlin)
4. Gossip - Heavy Cross
5. The Doors - Love Her Madly
6. Dire Straits - Setting Me Up
7. Paolo Nutini - Candy
8. The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
9. J.J. Cale - Rock & Roll Records
10. The Black Keys - Give Your Heart Away
11. The Bloody Honkies - What I Got
12. Urban Dance Squad - Limousine
13. The Peddlers - Wasting My Time

Tape: TDK SA90 (82-84)
NR: Dolby B

My first post here, hi folks! Just picked up the magnetizing-sport again. Also did a tape test. The winner got to be my first mixtape in years.

1. TDK SA90 (82-84)
2. BASF Chrome Maxima II (89-93)
3. TDK SA90 (97-02)
4. Sony Metal XR (89)
5. TDK AD90 (84-85)

Found 1 by far the most dynamic. 2 very well balanced but a little soft, also on the volume: by far the lowest level of all. 3 has very pronounced treble and bass but lacks spectrum mostly in the mids. 4 is dynamic but lacks high treble. 5 has articulate treble and bass - better highs than 4 - but reproduces a disdinctly incoherent total sound. Any ideas on this?

Dazen1
12-16-2011, 10:26 AM
SIDE A

SIDE B
1. Pearl Jam - Animal
4. Gossip - Heavy Cross
7. Paolo Nutini - Candy

Some good tracks there. *bigthumbup*

Welcome to Tapeheads. *reelspin*-*reelspin*

mrfoxboy
12-16-2011, 05:01 PM
SIDE A

SIDE B
1. Pearl Jam - Animal
4. Gossip - Heavy Cross
7. Paolo Nutini - Candy

My first post here, hi folks! Just picked up the magnetizing-sport again. Also did a tape test. The winner got to be my first mixtape in years.

1. TDK SA90 (82-84)
3. TDK SA90 (97-02)
4. Sony Metal XR (89)
5. TDK AD90 (84-85)

Found 1 by far the most dynamic. 2 very well balanced but a little soft, also on the volume: by far the lowest level of all. 3 has very pronounced treble and bass but lacks spectrum mostly in the mids. 4 is dynamic but lacks high treble. 5 has articulate treble and bass - better highs than 4 - but reproduces a disdinctly incoherent total sound. Any ideas on this?
Very nice choice of tape. Though I do prefer the BASF Chrome-Maxima over the TDK's. They don't take much signal (I tend to set at 0 on the Marantz) but have an extremely-low noise floor)

mrfoxboy
12-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Latest tape: December 16, 2011
Dire Straits - "Brothers in Arms"
Source: CD - Kenwood DP-47
Recording: Kenwood KX-3510
Tape: TDK D60 (~1998-2002)
NR: None
Bias: Automatic
*reelspin*_*reelspin*

Nightowl
12-17-2011, 07:14 AM
My 80's collection is an ongoing work in progress that is always growing. My Latest 80's tape:

Tape: Maxell UR90 (1988)

1980's vol. 22

Walking In LA - Missing Persons
I'm Still Standing - Elton John
Highway To The Dangerzone - Kenny Loggins
Don't Pay The Ferryman - Chris De Burgh
Every Little Thing She Does - The Police
Girls On Film - Duran Duran
I'll Wait - Van Halen
It's Only Love - Tina Turner & Bryan Adams
Legs - ZZ Top
New Years Day - U2
She Bop - Cyndi Lauper
Subdivisions - Rush
Don't Do Me Like That - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Holding Out For A Hero - Bonnie Tyler
Words - Missing Persons
Rock Me Tonight - Billy Squire
I Guess Thats Why They Call It The Blues - Elton John
Take My Breath Away - Berlin

audioribbon
12-17-2011, 03:08 PM
the stone roses (debut and demo) onto black library cassettes.
the orb (cydonia) onto blue library cassette.
all typeI w/dB IN
fujifilm inlay sheets

mrfoxboy
12-17-2011, 03:09 PM
My 80's collection is an ongoing work in progress that is always growing. My Latest 80's tape:

Tape: Maxell UR90

1980's vol. 22

Walking In LA - Missing Persons
I'm Still Standing - Elton John
Highway To The Dangerzone - Kenny Loggins
Don't Pay The Ferryman - Chris De Burgh
Every Little Thing She Does - The Police
Girls On Film - Duran Duran
I'll Wait - Van Halen
It's Only Love - Tina Turner & Bryan Adams
Legs - ZZ Top
New Years Day - U2
She Bop - Cyndi Lauper
Subdivisions - Rush
Don't Do Me Like That - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Holding Out For A Hero - Bonnie Tyler
Words - Missing Persons
Rock Me Tonight - Billy Squire
I Guess Thats Why They Call It The Blues - Elton John
Take My Breath Away - Berlin
Very nice picks!

macster
12-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Jazz at the Pawn Shop

Isaac Hayes Live at the Sahara Tahoe

Theme From Shaft
The Come On
Light My Fire
Ike's Rap V
Never Can Say Goodbye
Windows Of The World
The Look Of Love
Ellie's Love Theme
Use Me
Do Your Thing
Theme From The Men
It's Too Late
Rock Me Baby
Stormy Monday Blues
Type Thang
The First Time I Saw Your Face
Ike's Rap VI
Ain't No Sunshine
Feelin' Alright

Recorded using a prerecorded cassette in the Dragon with no Dolby > Tandberg 3014 with Dolby C using old school TDK SA in the Tandberg. It came out nice, the original cassette is on it's last legs. I'm glad that I got the chance to do this before it broke.

M~

Patrik
12-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Welcome!
What deck did you use, and did you optimise for each tape?
Regards
Partrik

1. TDK SA90 (82-84)
3. TDK SA90 (97-02)
4. Sony Metal XR (89)
5. TDK AD90 (84-85)

mrfoxboy
12-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Latest Cassette: December 19, 2011
Tape: Maxell UD-XL C90 (1977-82)
Deck: Marantz SD4000
Bias: Preset - 0
External Equalization: None

Side A: Tevin Campbell / Mix (Various digital sources)
I 2 I
Tell me what you want me to do
I'm ready
Stand out
Perfectless
Can we talk?
The only one for me
Let me see it
-Thrown down (Recorded during Shangri-La sessions) - Fleetwood Mac
-Young turks - Rod Stewart

Side B: Everything But The Girl - "The Language of Life" (320Kbps MP3 @ 44.1KHz)
Driving
Get back together
Meet me in the morning
Me and Bobby D
The language of life
Take me
Imagining America
Letting love go
My baby don't love me
The road

KottkeHead
12-20-2011, 06:45 AM
Welcome!
What deck did you use, and did you optimise for each tape?
Regards
Partrik

Hi Patrik,

Used the Bang & Olufsen BeoCord 4500 and pulled even the recording level on playback. Worth mentioning is that it were all 90 min. tapes. Noticed that the BASF needed a much higher recording level to get the same amount of output as the other tapes. I just compared them by ear using "You And Your Friend" (Dire Straits) and those were the things I noticed.

@MrFoxBoy: Thanks for the tip, I'll see into that.

@Dazen1: Gave it to a friend of mine to play in his car, and he drives like a maniac already..

audioribbon
12-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Tape: Maxell UD-XL C90 (1977-82)

looks like quite the tape deck there. two speeds, that 2nd faster speed seems pretty neat.

collector804
12-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Dubbed The Stones' 'Get Yer Ya Ya's Out' and 'Let It Bleed' from original US first pressings onto a new Maxell UR-120. Its a number of years old but same as the current UR's. Why would I do this may you ask? well, going to buy more stock of my workhorse TDK D-90, I find Imation must not be making D-90's anymore as the mail order retailer I bought them from doesnt have any anymore, and this is the same at several I buy from. Only two places still have them. While they are available at the various "Dollar stores", which I will be buying them all up at, I prefer to buy in multiple quanties and prefer buying tapes 10 to a box.

The UR-120 was muddy as hell...but it being a years since ive had a fresh UR-90, I thought I could experiment with this. Well, im throwing the tape away and too bad I used the J-Card. The case will be saved though.

I just put in a tape I made in May on a current day Maxell COM 90. I had bought a few boxes of these to test out for archiving my vinyl radio shows and my American Top 40 collection I have on CD's. This tape was of Ginger Baker's Airforce 2 and Genesis' A Trick of the Tail, and to me it was bright and had lots of life, it was recorded "hot" some bass saturation and brittleness but adjusting the levels- I think it can be a back up workhorse. I plan on hoarding as much D-90 as I can plus a back up which looks to be the COM 90.

So, after reading a lot on this site, many feel the UR and the COM are the same, I beg to differ- I found the results striking in how different the two are. By the way most mix tape masters, remastering, archiving, and special projects I do on my deep well of latter day NOS of Maxell XL II 90's, 110's, TDK SA 90, TDK SA-X 90 and TDK MA 90. I make a lot of tapes for others plus I find I can make very high quality masters for others and myself using the D's. I would of expected the UR's to be long gone before the D's were.

Any thoughts, fellow 'Heads?

HarvestmanMan
12-20-2011, 05:25 PM
I unwrapped two of the sealed D90s I bought yesterday and recorded test tapes to compare the recording abilities of my Sony TC-KE500S and my JVC KD-D50. I set the level on the preamp to 4 and the level on both decks to 5, since I was recording from a turntable. The record I used was "She Ain't Lovin' You" by the Distant Cousins.

Haven't listened to either tape yet, so I don't know what to expect...

HarvestmanMan
12-20-2011, 05:27 PM
I plan on hoarding as much D-90 as I can plus a back up which looks to be the COM 90.

Did you mean the UR-90?

(If you're in need of any TDK D-90s, let me know and I'll send a few sealed ones your way. They're everywhere around here for pennies on the dollar.)

collector804
12-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Did you mean the UR-90?

(If you're in need of any TDK D-90s, let me know and I'll send a few sealed ones your way. They're everywhere around here for pennies on the dollar.)

Hi Harvestman,

Thanks for the offer- I can get 4 packs of the D-90's at all the Dollar Stores so im good, gonna be buying them up, also the Maxell COM 90's, just to be safe. I called National Recording Supply this afternoon, Imation is still making the D-90 but they are so expensive to buy wholesale the mail order places havent been buying them and let their supplies run out. Looks like its just the 4 packs now, which sucks, because I like buying everything in the 10 count boxes. Gonna continue stocking up, cuz sadly there will be a day when either no cassettes are made or they will be such junk its not gonna be worth it. Have a good night

HarvestmanMan
12-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Hi Harvestman,

Imation is still making the D-90
Interesting; I've never seen Imation cassettes. Are they sold under a different brand name?

collector804
12-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Interesting; I've never seen Imation cassettes. Are they sold under a different brand name?

No, in 2007 TDK stopped making blank media, and licensed the names to Imation and those hit the market in '08. They license the Memorex name too. Its funny the TDK product is still top notch, but steer clear of the Memorex VHS and CD-R's especially the video tapes are junk. Plus I was never pleased with the Imation brand name product either. But the Imation made TDK media (audio cassettes, VHS, CD-R's) Ive been pleased with and have had a few problems but not many

vince666
12-22-2011, 04:43 PM
2 old albums by Talking Heads on a Sony UX-PRO 90 (first version) recorded on my modified Technics RS-B965M with dolby B.

the 2 vinyl records were at their first play so there aren't any clicks/pops at all. *wink*

the result? SIMPLY FANTASTIC! *devil* This tape is a true BEAST! *bigthumbup*

http://www.tapeheads.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=25449&d=1324597001

CHEERS,

Vince.

mrfoxboy
12-22-2011, 07:30 PM
looks like quite the tape deck there. two speeds, that 2nd faster speed seems pretty neat.

Yea Yea. Sounds nice at high speed. Though this tape deck excels with Maxell UDXL-I tape. Would love to try out some XLI someday, since it's about the same formulation (UDXL was shortened to XL sometime in 83-84). The stuff is hard to find though...and fetches high prices on ewPray

audioribbon
12-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Yea Yea. Sounds nice at high speed. Though this tape deck excels with Maxell UDXL-I tape. Would love to try out some XLI someday, since it's about the same formulation (UDXL was shortened to XL sometime in 83-84). The stuff is hard to find though...and fetches high prices on ewPray

wonder how close the UD and UR are? there seems to be UR120's which might do it for the faster speed rotation and faster guiding. got some XLII's in 110's, but i'm not sure what the advantage is spinning CHROMES at double the speed... is even noticeable? Not sure why the prices are so high for all these Maxells. considering i find them in great condition in thrift and 2nd hand stores all the time for pennies, even sealed.

question: recording onto a CrO2 at FAST SPEED, then, transferring it onto another cassette (recording on a different deck from the tape playing back on the Marantz), if the copy would be better than if just doing a normal recording on the Marantz at normal speed?

maybe time to open a thread regarding tape speeds and what is possible and with what tapes used etc...*flame*

close652
12-23-2011, 02:49 PM
2 old albums by Talking Heads on a Sony UX-PRO 90 (first version) recorded on my modified Technics RS-B965M with dolby B.

wow, a Legendary Pink Dots tape on the picture!

vince666
12-23-2011, 03:15 PM
wow, a Legendary Pink Dots tape on the tape!

wow, do you know the Legendary Pink Dots??? *eyepop**eyepop**eyepop*

They are one of my favourite bands. *hearts*

and, really, that one is an homemade mixtape where i selected some of their early stuff from the 80's, my favourite Dots era... and the songs selection is, IMHO, insanely nice! *devil*

http://www.tapeheads.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=25465&d=1324678128

i used a c95 bulk ferric tape loaded in a red shell (from tapeline) and i printed the labels and the cover on red paper with a black/white laser printer... cheap and nice to see... it seems almost a true pre-recorded tape. *flame*

CHEERS,

Vince.

close652
12-23-2011, 03:41 PM
To keep it short: I have cca. 15 LPs, 50+ CDs and some factory made cassettes of LPD and related (EKS, Silverman, Tear Garden) material. I saw them a couple of times and I even recorded some shows.

Nice home made tape! I have also ordered some samples from tapeline for an aborted cassette only release.

mrfoxboy
12-23-2011, 03:49 PM
wonder how close the UD and UR are? there seems to be UR120's which might do it for the faster speed rotation and faster guiding. got some XLII's in 110's, but i'm not sure what the advantage is spinning CHROMES at double the speed... is even noticeable? Not sure why the prices are so high for all these Maxells. considering i find them in great condition in thrift and 2nd hand stores all the time for pennies, even sealed.

question: recording onto a CrO2 at FAST SPEED, then, transferring it onto another cassette (recording on a different deck from the tape playing back on the Marantz), if the copy would be better than if just doing a normal recording on the Marantz at normal speed?

maybe time to open a thread regarding tape speeds and what is possible and with what tapes used etc...*flame*
Not quite sure. Though the Marantz makes excellent quality tapes at normal speed. It's coming with me to my parents tomorrow to record my dad's guitar. That and a TDK MA-EX. I intend to record at normal speed. Though if my Technics would be up to the task I'd rather use that machine (dbx!). Still, the Marantz sounds great with metal tape.
The UD/UR are lower grade than the UDXL/XL. Check out Des' Gallery for pics, as well as vintagecassettes.com, which is another great blank tape information resource.

mrfoxboy
12-24-2011, 01:26 AM
Newest tape: December 24, 2011
Tape: TDK SM-30
Bias: Neutral - Preset - 0
NR: NONE
Source: 320kbps MP3
Title:untitled

Side A: Boston Pops Christmas
- A Christmas Festival
- Carol Of The Bells

Side B: Blank
Blank

This tape I just wanted to test out. I plan to make a true recording on this tape soon.
http://tapeheads.net/albums/files//1/6/5/2/moncton_2-20111224-00181.jpg

mrfoxboy
12-24-2011, 01:30 AM
Just finished recording a B.O.C. (Blue Oyster Cult) Some Enchanted Evening, LP onto a Fuji DR-1 using the thrift store buy, Kenwood KX-3010 deck.

Not the best live LP ever but the deck laid down the tracks just fine onto the DR-1.

You gotta love Godzilla, Don't Fear the Reaper and We gotta get out of this Place to name but three songs on the LP.*reelspin**reelspin*

Glad to see that you enjoy the KX-3010 as much as I have. I've made many a tape using my KX-3010, and it always seems to pull through

macster
12-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Source: VPI Classic SDS/Shure M97XE Jico SAS
Tape Deck: Revox B215 TDK SA New/Clearaudio Basic+/Morrow PH3 Interconnects

Template here http://www.blkmacster.com/recordings/StevieWonderHerbiehancock.pub

Stevie Wonder – In Square Circle

Part-Time Lover
I Love You Too Much
Whereabouts
Stranger On The Shore Of Love
Never In Your Sun
Spiritual Walkers
Land Of La La
Go Home
Overjoyed
It's Wrong (Apartheid)

Herbie Hancock – Man-Child

Hang Up Your Hang Ups
Sun Touch
The Traitor
Bubbles
Steppin' In
Heartbeat

M~

Villee
12-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Source: CD from a harman kardon cd-player.
Title: Gustav Mahler: 10 symphonien (deutsche grammophon)
Tapes: 2x TDK SA-X, 3x BASF chromdioxid II, 1x Sony FeCr loaded into BASF chromdioxid shell, 1x Sony HF-ES, 1x SONY HF-S
Noise reduction: Dolby C
Deck: Nakamichi CR-4

Recording quality was excellent. Dual-layer tapes, like TDK SA-X didn´t have any midrange dip. It seems that the deck has some kind of similar EQ mod like the CR-7 has. Even the Sony FeCr performed well without irritating midrange dip or SOL problems (i recorded it using type 1 bias and 70 us EQ).

mrfoxboy
12-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3xc_vqgIvc
Deck: Technics RS-M253X (First full tape with it!)
Tape: Sony ZX-60
EQ/Pos.: Normal
Bias: ~-0.5
http://www.vintagecassettes.com/sony/sony_files/image8079.jpg
The mix fit just barely, split across Side A and B.

curt-hisses
12-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Virgin entry:
most recent cassette recording: Dec. 1 & 2, 2011 ("holidaze mix-tape")
tape: Maxell XLII 90 (freshly ripped from its factory-sealed wrapping, recently acquired from thrift store for $.67) utilizing No Noise Reduction
source: vinyl played upon borrowed Dual turntable
recorder: NAD 616

Side A:
Patricia - Time Series 2000
One Note Samba - Senor Ros
Sugar, Sugar - the Living Marimbas
Dance on Your Knees / Out of Touch - Hall & Oates
Maria Elena - Juarez Woodwinds
Shakin' - Eddie Money
Sabre Dance - Les Baxter
Love is a Battlefield - Pat Bentar
In My Solitude - Pam Garner
No Trespassing - The Ventures
Tomorrow Never Comes - Glen Campbell
It's So Nice to be with You - Gallery
Treat Her Like a Lady - Cornelius Bros. & Sister Rose
Taboo - Tito Rivera & his Cuban Orchestra
Temptation - Martin Denny
Dynamite - Brenda Lee

Side B:
Royal Garden Blues - Pete Fountain & Al Hirt
Paradiddle - Joe Brubeck w/ Carmen McRae
Enjoy Yourself Cha-Cha - Command Records
Lonesome Twelve - Glen Campbell
Ballad of Jed Clampett - Spike Jones' New Band
Eenie-Minie Mo - the Classics
Big Boss Man - Last Exit
El Relicario - Series 2000 (w/ Al Caiola)
Good-Boogdi-Googi - Louis Prima & Keely Smith
Gipsy & Peasant - Paco de Lucia
Rio Rita - Sammy Kaye
On a Slow Boat to China - Eddy Howard
Candida - Dawn
Sun Zoom Spark - Capt. Beefheart
Hindustan - Pete Fountain
Cecilia - the Living Marimbas

parman
12-29-2011, 07:01 AM
Dec. 28, 2011
Old beat up TDK SA90 (bought at GW not sure of the vintage)
A side Flo & Eddie~Moving Targets
B side JJ Cale~Troubadour
Gave it to a friend to listen to in his old Cadalliac with a GM tape player & Bose speakers

macster
12-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Date: Dec 29, 2011 Source: VPI Classic SDS/Shure M97XE Jico SAS
Tape Deck: Revox B215 TDK SA New/Clearaudio Basic+/Morrow PH3. Template here (www.blkmacster.com/recordings/StevieWonder.pub)

Stevie Wonder – Hotter Than July

Did I Hear You Say You Love Me
All I Do
Rocket Love
I Ain't Gonna Stand For It
As If You Read My Mind
Master Blaster (Jammin')
Do Like You
Cash In Your Face
Lately
Happy Birthday

Steely Dan – Gaucho

Babylon Sisters
Hey Nineteen
Glamour Profession
Gaucho
Time Out Of Mind
My Rival
Third World Man

M~

clydeselsor
12-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - Act Your Age

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm40/clydeselsor/GGBPB-ActYourAge.jpg

Tape: TDK SA 90
Deck: Carver TD-1400
Date: 12/28/11

macster
12-31-2011, 01:54 PM
Date: Dec 29, 2011 Source: VPI Classic SDS/Shure M97XE Jico SAS
Tape Deck: Revox B215 TDK SA New/Clearaudio Basic+/Morrow PH3.

George Benson – In Flight

Nature Boy
The Wind And I
The World Is A Ghetto
Gonna Love You More
Valdez In The Country
Everything Must Change

Earl Klugh – Living Inside Your Love

Captain Caribe
I Heard It Through The Grapevine
Felicia
Living Inside Your Love
Another Time, Another Place
The April Fools

M~

Dazen1
12-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Wow macster! You have been busy. *bigthumbup*

mrfoxboy
12-31-2011, 03:20 PM
Tape: Maxell XL-II 90 (1986 vintage)
Deck: Kenwood KX-3010 2-head cassette
Source: Hitachi HT-350 DD turntable

SIDE A: Nena - "99 Luftballons"
- 99 Red balloons (English version)
- Fragezeichen
- Hangin' on you
- Just a dream
- Let me be your pirate
- Kino
- Das Land der Elefanten
- Leuchtturm
- Rette mich
- Unerkannt durch's Märchenland
- 99 Luftballons (German version)

SIDE B: Richard Marx - "Richard Marx"
- Should've known better
- Don't mean nothing
- Endless summer nights
- Lonely nights
- Hold on to the nights
- Have mercy
- Remember Manhattan
- The flame of love
- Rhythm of life
- Heaven only knows

mrfoxboy
12-31-2011, 03:56 PM
Tape: Fuji ZII-100 (1995 vintage)
Deck: Marantz SD-4000
Source: Pioneer RT-707 RTR (playing Fuji FM-150-7H tape @ 7.5 IPS)
Title: "Mix rec. December 28, 2011"

Side A:
- Living by Numbers - New Musik
- Everytime You Go Away - Paul Young
- Force Ten - Rush
- Rise Up - Parachute Club
- Key Largo - Bertie Higgins
- A Good Heart - Feargal Sharkey
- Making Your Mind Up - Bucks Fizz
- Cameo Spirit - Kim Mitchell
- Right Here Waiting - Richard Marx
- Hip to be Square - Huey Lewis
- Break My Stride - Matthew Wilder
- She's So Young - The Pursuit of Happiness
- Walk of Life - Dire Straits

SIDE B:
- Feels Like Heaven - Fiction Factory
- Constant Craving - k.d. lang
- Just The Two of Us - Bill Withers

macster
12-31-2011, 04:37 PM
Wow macster! You have been busy. *bigthumbup*

HA!

The B215 is really a joy to use. Do the alignment, set the levels and get with it. Also the Morrow cables are really making a difference with the deck, the transfers are almost identical to what's on the record. The Shure/Jico is not the greatest carrtidge in the world but it will play all those dirt bag records that I buy just so that I can get the music off of them. My Dragon is better, however I am only going to use it for playback and recording "new" records. I am going to use the B215 till it breaks. Now for the Tandberg 3014, I need to one little minor problem solved then I'll have to figure out what to do with it. Also, I have a 440A being repaired. But I digresss, back to the B215, it hasn't met a tape yet that it can't calibrate and get the max performance out of that particular tape.

M~

close652
12-31-2011, 05:22 PM
A tape for a tapehead with a new interest in the music of The Legendary Pink Dots:

mrfoxboy
01-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Tape: Maxell XL-II 90 (current)
Source: Pioneer RT-707 (playing Scotch AV176 1200' @ 7.5IPS)
Bias: 0 - Preset

Side A: ABBA - Live at Wembley arena 1979
- Voulez-Vous
- Chiquitita
- I Have a Dream
- Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!
- Knowing Me, Knowing You
- Thank You For The Music
- Summer Night City
- Dancing Queen
- Does Your Mother Know
- Hole In Your Soul

side B: Blank

mrfoxboy
01-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Photo for above

vince666
01-02-2012, 06:08 AM
A tape for a tapehead with a new interest in the music of The Legendary Pink Dots:

it looks great! *bigthumbup*

CHEERS,

Vince.

ianC90
01-02-2012, 12:17 PM
A psychedelic mix for a guy in Texas

Tape: BASF Chrome Extra II
Deck: Teac V-5000

Side 1:
"Relax with Reveen"
Holy Modal Rounders - Bird Song
The Third Rail - Run, Run, Run
Sagittarius - My World Fell Down
Nazz - Open My Eyes
"Don't answer the phone man!"
Godz - Na Na Na
The Fool -Voice On The Wind
The Mothers of Invention - Nine Types of Industrial Pollution
Country Joe & The Fish - Porpoise Mouth
The Monkees - The Porpoise Song
The 13th Floor Elevators - You're Gonna Miss Me
Count Five - Psychotic Reaction
The Amboy Dukes - Baby Please Don't Go

Side 2:
The Peter Thomas Sound Orch. - Chariots Of The Gods
"Jesuchristo Superstar" (original Mexican cast recording)
"Oh What A Lovely War"
Pink Floyd - Pow R. Toc H
Spirit - Space Child/When I Touch You
Sun Ra - Outer Nothingness
The Fugs - I Saw The Best Minds Of My Generation Rot
The Fast Camels - Der Nazi Tea

Big Kelv
01-02-2012, 12:30 PM
http://www.tapeheads.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=25720&d=1325531767

Loving that artwork *bigthumbup* (the music's good as well)

Regards, Kelv

Dazen1
01-02-2012, 12:35 PM

Tape: BASF Chrome Extra II
Deck: Teac V-5000

Side 1:
"Relax with Reveen"
Holy Modal Rounders - Bird Song
The Third Rail - Run, Run, Run
Sagittarius - My World Fell Down
Nazz - Open My Eyes
"Don't answer the phone man!"
Godz - Na Na Na
The Fool -Voice On The Wind
The Mothers of Invention - Nine Types of Industrial Pollution
Country Joe & The Fish - Porpoise Mouth
The Monkees - The Porpoise Song
The 13th Floor Elevators - You're Gonna Miss Me
Count Five - Psychotic Reaction
The Amboy Dukes - Baby Please Don't Go

Side 2:
The Peter Thomas Sound Orch. - Chariots Of The Gods
"Jesuchristo Superstar" (original Mexican cast recording)
"Oh What A Lovely War"
Pink Floyd - Pow R. Toc H
Spirit - Space Child/When I Touch Yuo
Sun Ra - Outer Nothingness
The Fugs - I Saw The Best Minds Of My Generation Rot
The Fast Camels - Der Nazi Tea

Yeah - good one Ian. *bigthumbup*

Time permitting, I hope you and I can trade mixes again in 2012.

macster
01-02-2012, 01:02 PM

Man

That art is fantastic, I can't wait till I get there.

M~

Elite-ist
01-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Ian: Is this your first mix tape recorded on your Teac V-5000 since refurbishing it?

Nando.

ianC90
01-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Ian: Is this your first mix tape recorded on your Teac V-5000 since refurbishing it?

Nando.

Yes it is, and I've just finished recording side 1 on a Maxell UDS II. The result is practically identical to the lp source!

I've also noticed how, with top tier tapes, the bias & level calibration adjustments are really small!*yesss*

mrfoxboy
01-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Finished side B of that XL-II I recorded ABBA on.:
SIDE B: Alan Parsons Project - "Eye in the sky"
Source: Hitachi HT350 DD turntable
Deck: Kenwood KX-3510
- Sirius
- Eye in the sky
- Children of the moon
- Gemini
- Silence and I
- You're gonna get your fingers burned
- Psychobabble
- Mammagamma
- Step by step
- Old and wise

close652
01-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Another two LPD cassette inlays have left my printer....

macster
01-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Another two LPD cassette inlays have left my printer....

How about pictures?

M~

pooneil
01-02-2012, 07:03 PM
OK, I got to admit....I have not recorded on a cassette in a long time, but when I did record cassettes, it was usually on location with portable deck and mics at a concert venue

I do however play cassettes almost daily while transferring my collection of live music to ones and zeros

Here's what I worked on this week

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee100/popskull/11-27-87002.jpg

Deck- Sony WM-D6C with Sony UX-ES tape
Source- Audio-Technica 9400 Stereo Mic in balcony
Transfer- original deck, dolby B on> Apogee Mini-Me Analog to Digital processor> 16/44 wav

I always tried to use Sony Cassettes in the D6 deck when recording, since Sony tweaked the recording bias on their decks for their tapes

audioribbon
01-04-2012, 05:11 PM
a pile of tapes. same recording on each.
it's the live show i did on new years eve and into new years day.
live tracks from previous two albums and the forthcoming album, and an oldie remade inside-out and upside-down from the early 90's (nobody recognized it, they are all too young).
digital recording. waved then edited transferred re-eq'ed into analog with B-NR onto mastertape.
distribution copies made in the main hallway beneath the smoke detector.
catalog number: ZT006
Label: zer0 tapes

Project/band: MID ISLAND DOLBY
Album: HELLO CODEX (LIVE 11/12)

side1:
1. A DOG
2. NIGHTMARES
3. TALL SHIPS
4. HALF EMPTY
5. TRANSFER

side2:
6. MEM (NME)
7. CHANGE THE VIBE (KHEMTRAILS)
8. HI INTEL
9. DAWN LANDING
10. DELETE V.10.11.6

3 guest vocalists. see if you can guess who they are. trivia! you win a balloon! disregard the little fools behind the curtains, there is nothing to see there. or so my higher-ups have informed me.

tapes 5buxx. microdisc 4buxx. mp3 free, save your money and buy bright neon shoelaces instead.
http://soundcloud.com/terminalrecords

ianC90
01-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Made a couple of tapes for a regular swap-buddy in Edmonton. He's really into Disco/Funk/R&B/Soul, so Tape #1 was a simple affair. Tape #2 is a vaguely themed mix. No fancy artwork this time, so no pics.

Tape #1
Maxell UDS II
NR none
Deck Teac V-5000

Side One
Peter Brown's "Fantasy Love Affair" disco masterpiece from '77!
Side Two
Dusty Springfield's "Dusty In Memphis", total classic.

Tape Two
Realistic Supertape (type I)
NR none
Deck V-5000

Side A
The Undead - Somebody Super Like You
Beef - Life At Last
Larry & The Bluenotes - Night Of The Phantom
The One Way Street - Jack The Ripper
The Cords - Ghost Power
The Swamp Rats - Psycho
John Cale - Fear
Sonics - The Witch
Bad Brains - Kick Out The Jams
Springsteen - Nebraska
Side B
Springsteen - State Trooper
John Cale - Heartbreak Hotel
Lou Reed - Street Hassle Pts. 2+3
Marianne Faithful - Guilt
Rolling Stones - Sister Morphine
Tom Waits - Frank's Wild Years
Paul Williams - The Hell Of It

Warped Bezel
01-04-2012, 10:39 PM
That's such an AWESOME, professional looking J-card! *bigthumbup*

a pile of tapes. same recording on each.
it's the live show i did on new years eve and into new years day.
live tracks from previous two albums and the forthcoming album, and an oldie remade inside-out and upside-down from the early 90's (nobody recognized it, they are all too young).
digital recording. waved then edited transferred re-eq'ed into analog with B-NR onto mastertape.
distribution copies made in the main hallway beneath the smoke detector.
catalog number: ZT006
Label: zer0 tapes

Project/band: MID ISLAND DOLBY
Album: HELLO CODEX (LIVE 11/12)

side1:
1. A DOG
2. NIGHTMARES
3. TALL SHIPS
4. HALF EMPTY
5. TRANSFER

side2:
6. MEM (NME)
7. CHANGE THE VIBE (KHEMTRAILS)
8. HI INTEL
9. DAWN LANDING
10. DELETE V.10.11.6

3 guest vocalists. see if you can guess who they are. trivia! you win a balloon! disregard the little fools behind the curtains, there is nothing to see there. or so my higher-ups have informed me.

macster
01-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Date: Jan 05, 2012 Source: VPI Classic SDS/Shure M97XE Jico SAS
Tape Deck: Revox B215 TDK SA New/CJPV5/Morrow PH3.

Bill Evans Trio* – How My Heart Sings

How My Heart Sings
I Should Care
In Your Own Sweet Way
Walking Up
Summertime
34 Skidoo
Ev'rything I Love
Show-Type Tune

Bill Evans Trio* Featuring Scott La Faro* - Sunday At The Village Vanguard

Gloria's Step
My Man's Gone Now
Solar
Alice In Wonderland
All Of You
Jade Visions

HA!

M~

mrfoxboy
01-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Tape: Sony UCX-60 (1985)
Source: Hitachi HT-350 DD Turntable and 320Kbps MP3s

Side A: "Alan Parsons Project"
- I Robot (MP3)
- Sirius/Eye in the Sky
- Lucifer
- Damned if I Do
- Mammagamma
- Games People Play (MP3)

Side B: "Fleetwood Mac"
- The Chain
- Welcome to the Room...Sara
- Tusk
- Empire State
- Seven Wonders
- Gypsy
- Oh Daddy
- Sara

Des-Lab
01-05-2012, 03:09 PM
I cracked open a NOS Maxell XLI 35-180B reel tape today. Got a cool mix under way. As usual, it's an eclectic mix that reflects the many different styles I like.

Pix and details to come.

mrfoxboy
01-05-2012, 03:41 PM
I cracked open a NOS Maxell XLI 35-180B reel tape today. Got a cool mix under way. As usual, it's an eclectic mix that reflects the many different styles I like.

Pix and details to come.

on your X200R, or are you mixing it up? :)

mrfoxboy
01-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Tape: TDK AD-60 (1982) (reusing it)
Source: Balkan Party Mix 2011 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZvzleNnID8 - MP3 @256Kbps
Title: "Balkan Party Mix 2011"

mrfoxboy
01-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Tape: Sony LNX-90 (1978-81)
Source: Youtube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckeq4_5RDJo )
Bias: Default - 0
Title: "Eurythmics - Live in Australia - 1987"

Des-Lab
01-05-2012, 09:28 PM
on your X200R, or are you mixing it up? :)

Of course it was done on the X-2000R. Read about it here (http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=16302).

mrfoxboy
01-06-2012, 12:24 AM
Hey, when you find a winning machine, you never go back. :p

mrfoxboy
01-06-2012, 12:34 AM
Tape: 2x TDK MA-EX-60 (japanese!)
Title: "Jean-Michel Jarre Live au Monaco - 2011"

Also operating in tandem was the KX-3010 off the same feed:
Tape: Maxell UR-120 (current)
Deck: Kenwood KX-3010
(made for portable use)

second photo indicates the levels I used for the TDK MA-EX

macster
01-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Date: Jan 07, 2012 Source: VPI Classic SDS/Shure M97XE Jico SAS

Ike Quebec – It Might As Well Be Spring

It Might As Well Be Spring
A Light Reprieve
Easy - Don't Hurt
Lover Man
Ol' Man River
Willow Weep For Me

The Incredible Jimmy Smith – Back At The Chicken Shack

Back At The Chicken Shack
When I Grow Too Old To Dream
Minor Chant
Messy Bessie

Ha! *devil*

Dang, this sounds pretty good not as good a rap, but it'll do in a pinch.

M~

mrfoxboy
01-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Tape: Maxell XLII-90
Source: 320Kbps MP3
Side A: Jethro Tull - "Thick as a Brick"
Side B: Blank

parman
01-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Got another prog concept LP in mind for the the flip side?

mrfoxboy
01-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Got another prog concept LP in mind for the the flip side?
Thinking about either "Aqualung" by 'Tull, or even Pink Floyd's "Dark Side..."

mrfoxboy
01-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Tape: Maxell MS-60
Source: FLAC lossless files - PC

Title: Shania Twain - "Come on Over"

Note that even though the case states that it is an "Oval Window", it has a more recent shell. This was NOS until I opened it

Parnelly
01-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Well this will be the first post of mine in this thread. I make mixes fairly often at least 1 a week. Just for my personal enjoyment and for when im drinking. Dont have to mess around with albums. Just finished up the second side of a tape i had started last thursday night and was unable to finish. So here it is.

Tape - Maxelle XLII (Newer id say but not man in the chair)
Deck - Yamaha KX-800U
All tunes taken from vinyl on my technics SL-220 With a Pickering NP/AC cart(also known as Stanton 400V3)
I dont use any noise reduction or anything like that.

Side B:
1. Deep Purple - Place In Line
2. Aerosmith - Reefer Head Woman
3. Lou Reed - Rock N Roll Heart
4. Marianne Faithful - Whats The Hurry
5. Humble Pie - 30 Days In The Hole
6. Bob Seger - Sunspot Baby
7. Paul McCartney - Band On The Run
8. Nazareth - This Flight Tonight(Live)
9. R.E.O. Speedwagon - Lay Me Down
10. Jackson Browne - Stay
11. Black Sabbath - Planet Caravan

I would like to point out that the R.E.O. Speedwagon on my tape is not the Speedwagon most people remember them as. This track was taken from the first album prior to the riding the storm out album(which has their second singer on it). Terry Lutrelle was the original vocalist for them and should have never left IMO. High Infidelity album with Keep On Loving You is their third singer.*eyepop*

Dazen1
01-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Nice selection.

You should pop over and join us in the Mix Tape thread (http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=7251). :)

Parnelly
01-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Nice selection.

You should pop over and join us in the Mix Tape thread (http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=7251). :)

Oh i been watching. Dont think im quite at that level yet. *grin*

Flick
01-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Years ago one of my favorite pastimes was going to the local library and coming home with an armful of albums, many of which are difficult to find today. One of those records was the album version of "A Child's Garden of Grass," which is a hilarious "explanation" of marijuana and it's effects. This record is especially hard to find and when you can find it, it is usually expensive. I made a copy on a TDK D-46 and today, about 30 years later, I decided to make a backup copy "just in case." After all these many years it still makes me laugh...."I'm locked in the refrigerator!"......."ooooon yelliman!" (those who know the record will understand)

Parnelly
01-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Years ago one of my favorite pastimes was going to the local library and coming home with an armful of albums, many of which are difficult to find today. One of those records was the album version of "A Child's Garden of Grass," which is a hilarious "explanation" of marijuana and it's effects. This record is especially hard to find and when you can find it, it is usually expensive. I made a copy on a TDK D-46 and today, about 30 years later, I decided to make a backup copy "just in case." After all these many years it still makes me laugh...."I'm locked in the refrigerator!"......."ooooon yelliman!" (those who know the record will understand)

LMAO id love to hear that. I assume it would be something like Reefer Madness which is obviously just an insane exaggeration.

Big Kelv
01-19-2012, 09:59 AM

Sound great fun, downloading as I type.

Regards, Kelv

Elite-ist
01-19-2012, 10:04 AM

You had me wondering, Robert, so I checked avalability on CD. Check out the prices. (http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/6405555/a/Child%27s+Garden+Of+Grass.htm)

Our favourite pastime as young teenagers in the early 70's, was three, or four of us listening to Cheech and Chong, George Carlin, and Bill Cosby LPs on a rainy day.

Nando.

Parnelly
01-19-2012, 10:07 AM
I thought this was going to be a little more dated. I do have to say its quite funny though thanks for even mentioning that as i likely would never have known about this. *bigthumbup* (listening on youtube)

macster
01-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Date: Jan 19, 2012 Source: VPI Classic SDS/Shure M97XE Jico SAS
Tape Deck: Revox B215/Maxell Man In The Chair/Clearaudio Basic+/Morrow PH3

Dinah Washington – This Is My Story

Salty Papa Blues
It Isn't Fair
Mixed Emotions
Since I Fell For You
Time Out For Tears
Stormy Weather (Keeps Raining All The Time)
I Want To Be Loved
Tell Me Why
If I Loved You
Trust In Me
Make Believe Dreams
Mad About The Boy

Nice!

M~

audioribbon
01-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Date: Jan 07, 2012 Source: VPI Classic SDS/Shure M97XE Jico SAS

The Incredible Jimmy Smith – Back At The Chicken Shack
[LIST=1]
Back At The Chicken Shack
When I Grow Too Old To Dream
Minor Chant
Messy Bessie

AWESOME ALBUM. BLUE NOTE LABEL, IF I AM CORRECT. GOT THAT ONE IN THE HALL OF RECORDS.

macster
01-19-2012, 05:23 PM
AWESOME ALBUM. BLUE NOTE LABEL, IF I AM CORRECT. GOT THAT ONE IN THE HALL OF RECORDS.

Yeah, I think that have 3 of these.

LOL

M~

mrfoxboy
01-19-2012, 07:34 PM
No pics yet

Tape: Maxell XL-II 90 (1986 vintage)
Source: Hitachi HT-350 DD Turntable
Side A: The Motels - "Little Robbers"
Side B: Howard Jones - "Dream Into Action" (First two tracks on side A due to length)

Next tape (Same info as above)
Side A: R.E.O Speedwagon - "Hi Infidelity"
Side B: Kim Carnes - "Mistaken Identity"

mrfoxboy
01-20-2012, 01:30 AM
Sorry for lack of pics, they are coming.

Tape: Maxell XLII-90 (1986 vintage)

Side A: Alan Parsons Project - "Eve"
Side B: Alan Parsons Project - "The Turn of a Friendly Card"

Parnelly
01-20-2012, 06:23 AM
Sorry for lack of pics, they are coming.

Tape: Maxell XLII-90 (1986 vintage)

Side A: Alan Parsons Project - "Eve"
Side B: Alan Parsons Project - "The Turn of a Friendly Card"

I recently acquired a lot of albums. In it were two Alan Parson albums Pyramid, and the Edgar Allan Poe one. I listened through the first side of EAP, weird stuff i thought.

macster
01-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Date: Jan 20, 2012 Source: VPI Classic SDS/Shure M97XE Jico SAS
Tape Deck: Revox B215 Maxell UDXLII New/Clearaudio Basic+/Morrow PH3

Dinah Washington – Drinking Again

Drinking Again
Just Friends
I'm Gonna Laugh You Out Of My Life
I'll Be Around
Lamet (Love, I Found You Gone)
I Don't Know You Anymore
Baby Won't You Please Come Home
Lover Man (Oh, Where Can You Be)
The Man That Got Away
For All We Know
Say It Isn't So
On The Street Of Regret

Ha!

Another crappy record with great music on it made listenable by selecting the right audio components.

M~

mrfoxboy
01-20-2012, 03:01 PM
I recently acquired a lot of albums. In it were two Alan Parson albums Pyramid, and the Edgar Allan Poe one. I listened through the first side of EAP, weird stuff i thought.

I want Pyramid and Ammonia Avenue. I have The Poe one, Eve, Turn of a Friendly Card, Eye in the Sky so far.

mrfoxboy
01-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Pics for this one.
Tape: Maxell UDSII-90 (1985 vintage)
Source: Electronica mix - PC
Bias: 0 - NORMAL POSITION
Title: "Eclectic Electronica"

Recorded specifically for the walkman (which does not have a position selector)

Big Kelv
01-22-2012, 03:44 AM
http://www.tapeheads.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=26340&d=1327228846

My latest mix tape.

Various vinyl>Project debut III>Project Phono Box>Tascam 32 @ 7.5ips>Quantegy 478>Tascam 32>Nak CR4A>Mid 80s TDK SA90s

Regards, Kelv

Parnelly
01-22-2012, 07:43 AM
I want Pyramid and Ammonia Avenue. I have The Poe one, Eve, Turn of a Friendly Card, Eye in the Sky so far.

Too bad i dont have any mailers i have 2 copies of pyramid.

Parnelly
01-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Put this together last night. I typically like a flow and have a precise order for my tapes. This tape though i didnt think it out. I did this intentionally as all my tapes are themed and well thought out. Wanted to something a little different this time.

Tape is an older TDK SA 90(not sure how old though)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/honchie/Vintage001.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/honchie/Vintage002.jpg

Recorded on the KX-800U with no noise reduction. Most tracks were taken from vinyl with the exception of a few tracks taken from cassette. Table was the Technics SL-220 with the Pickering cart. Cassettes were sourced off the Pioneer CT-W600R.

Side A:
1. The Firm - Radioactive
2. Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing
3. Burton Cummings - Guns, Guns, Guns
4. Aerosmith - Remember(Walking In The Sands)
5. London Quireboys - Misled
6. Cher - Just Like Jesse James
7. Johnny Winter - Look Away
8. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Call Me The Breeze
9. Sass Jordan - Make Me A Believer
10. ZZ Top - Just Got Back From Baby's

Side B:
1. Patrick Hernandez - Born To Be Alive
2. Queen - A Kind Of Magic
3. Don Henley - Boys Of Summer
4. Madonna - Like A Prayer
5. Poison - Your Mama Dont Dance
6. Uriah Heep - The Wizard
7. Rolling Stones - Love Is strong
8. ZZ Top - 2000 Blues
9. Tom Petty - All The Wrong Reasons
10. Ozzy Osbourne - Old L.A. Tonight

mrfoxboy
01-22-2012, 12:35 PM
That would be a ~1989-1990 TDK SA

mrfoxboy
01-22-2012, 01:39 PM
Tape: Maxell XLII 90 (1985 Vintage, my fav!)

Side A: The Cars - "Heartbeat City"
Side B: Blank - Putting Tracy Chapman - "Tracy Chapman" on it after work

Parnelly
01-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Well im working on something a little different today. Something i been thinking about and have never done myself. I decided to do a live set pulled strictly from dvd. I originally had chosen to use one of the TDK metal tapes as i thought this would work well for sourcing everything from dvd, but the white particles put a stop to that as the recording was up and down like a hookers pants. So i decided to use a Sony UX Pro. As the TDK were my only metal tapes and all suffer from the same illness.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/honchie/Sony001.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/honchie/Sony003.jpg

Typical setup, Yamaha no noise reduction. So far these are the tracks i have.

Side A:
1. Guns N Roses - Night Train (Use Your Illusion Live)
2. ACDC - You Shook Me All Night Long (River Plate)
3. Stevie Ray Vaughan - Pride And Joy (@ The El Macombo)
4. Metallica - Fade To Black (Live Shit)
5. Led Zeppelin - No Quarter (Song Remains The Same)
6. Queen - Now Im Here (@ The Bowl)
7. Ozzy Osbourne - Road To Nowhere (Live N Loud)
8. ACDC - Shot Down In Flames (No Bull)

Each song was picked based on exceptional performances for one reason or another. This does prove to be time consuming more so i think then sourcing from vinyl. With most tracks requiring the use of the fader. Have a few more lined up for this side. But i may have to call a few buds to borrow a couple more live dvd shows to completely finish this one off.

mrfoxboy
01-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Made a bunch of tapes!
Tapes: 3x Maxell XLII-90 (1985 Vintage_
Bias: 0 - preset

Tape 1:
Side A: The Cars - "Heartbeat City" (Already mentioned)
Side B: Tracy Chapman - "Tracy Chapman"

Tape 2:
Side A: Commodores - "Night Shift"
Side B: Joni Mitchell - "Dog Eat Dog"

Tape 3:
Side A: Thomas Dolby - "The Golden Age Of Wireless"
Side B: Cyndi Lauper - "She's So Unusual"

A few select pics below

mrfoxboy
01-25-2012, 12:32 AM
(no pic yet)
Tape: TDK MA-EX 60 (1998 Vintage) (Japanese)
Deck: Kenwood KX-3010 (Side A), Marantz SD4000 (Side B)
Source: MP3 files (Side A), Hitachi HT-350 DD Turntable
Bias: Auto (Side A), Preset - 0 (Side B)

Side A: Thomas Dolby
Windpower (High Power Extended mix)
Flying North (High Altitude Extended mix)
Hyperactive (Album Version)
One of our Submarines (Extended Mix)
Europa and the Pirate Twins (Extended Mix)

Side B: The Human League - "Fascination!" EP

Tape just like this:
http://vintagecassettes.com/tdk/tdk_files/tdk_year/image2375.jpg

mrfoxboy
01-25-2012, 12:35 AM
Too bad i dont have any mailers i have 2 copies of pyramid.

If you have both of the albums I metioned (or even one), I would appreciate even a plain cassette copy

mrfoxboy
01-25-2012, 01:01 AM
And another too
Tape: TDK SA60
Deck: Marantz SD4000 (until it broke down), rerecorded with Luxman K351

Title: Dokken - "Back for the attack"

Something happened to my Marantz SD4000. 3/4 of the way through Side B, the sound began to "pulsate", almost if backtension was VERY uneven. I managed to rerecord using a newcomer, the Luxman K-351, but it is only a 2-head deck. I got it for a few bucks. It's niiiice. Will thread later

Trout-44
01-26-2012, 07:22 PM
RMG LP35
Norah Jones 180 gram LP
Via MMF 5.1 TT to my Akai GX 635D

10" reels

Hope That Counts

*reelspin*

Parnelly
01-26-2012, 08:22 PM
RMG LP35
Norah Jones 180 gram LP
Via MMF 5.1 TT to my Akai GX 635D

10" reels

Hope That Counts

*reelspin*

Damn right it does.

Paspie
01-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Tape: Sony HF (Current)
Source: Technics SL-DD33 TT with Behringer PP400 Phono Pre-amp
Bias: Normal
Level: +2db
No Dolby NR but HX Pro

Side A: ABBA - Super Trouper
Side B: pending hopefully ABBA - The Visitors

Date: 27/01/12

mrfoxboy
01-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Tape: Sony HF (Current)
Bias: Normal
No Dolby NR but HX Pro

Side A: ABBA - Super Trouper
Side B: pending hopefully ABBA - The Visitors

Date: 27/01/12

Alright! So I am not the only ABBA fan on the forum! All I need is the first album (ring ring) on vinyl and I will have all the LPs!

macster
01-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Date: Jan 19, 2012 Source: VPI Classic SDS/Shure M97XE Jico SAS
Tape Deck: Revox B215 Maxell UDXLII New/CJ PV5 Electro-Harmonix Gold Pin 12AX7's/Morrow PH3

Ray Charles – Modern Sounds In Country And Western Music

Bye Bye Love
You Don't Know Me
Half As Much
I Love You So Much It Hurts
Just A Little Lovin'
Born To Lose
Worried Mind
It Makes No Difference
You Win Again
Careless Love
I Can't Stop Loving You
Hey, Good Looking

Ray Charles – What'd I Say

What'd I Say (Part 1 & 2)
Jumpin' In The Mornin'
You Be My Baby
Featuring – Raelets
Tell Me How Do You Feel
What Kind Of Man Are You
Featuring – Mary Ann Fisher, Raelets
Rockhouse (Part 1 & 2)
Roll With My Baby
Tell The Whole World About You
Featuring – Raelets
My Bonnie
Featuring – Raelets
That's Enough
Featuring – Mary Ann Fisher

Ray Charles - I'm All Yours-Baby!

Yours
I Didn't Know What Time It Was
Love Is Here To Stay
Memories Of You
Till The End Of Time
I Had A Craziest Dream
Someday
Indian Love Call
I Dream Of You (More Than You Dream I Do)
Gloomy Sunday

M~

Naknut
01-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Love Ray Charles and – Modern Sounds In Country And Western Music is a classic and sounds great too.

macster
01-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Love Ray Charles and – Modern Sounds In Country And Western Music is a classic and sounds great too.

Thanks, the lps that I have are not in good condition, however in my system they are still enjoyable to extent that I'm looking for better copies to record from.

M~

Naknut
01-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Besides catching up on my mix-tape trading with fellow THers I've decided to start transferring my collection of progressive and art rock to tape. While I have many US releases on vinyl I have a friend that gave me his collection or at least part of it a year ago. Most of it is import at least to me, French, UK and German releases. I'm doing this mostly to make myself listen to it and as a edification on how they sound using Dolby B and without. One side will be a straight transfer the other using Dolby. I will be using mostly Type l tape and formally used as I have a ton of it that I have found though the years.
All recording will be done using my Nakamichi Dragon, Denon DP-47F turntable with a Grado Red cartridge.

This is project is called "getting off of my ass you lazy twit".

Naknut
01-29-2012, 03:27 PM
To expound a little further on this project. I'm truly amazed at how well the Dragon can make a lowly Type l tape sound. My first transfer of Il Baricentro's • Trusciant LP on Maxell UD vintage 1979 or 1980 showed me that you can capture the music and all of it's dynamics if you don't push it too hard. You will get the tapes inherent hiss in the low music passages and silent parts, this may or may not be bothersome to some of us with 50 year old plus ears. I can hear it but it's not as intrusive as it was to me 20 years ago. The B side or Dolby B side is just as dynamic but without the hiss at least to my ears.

Doing this project will also weed out the LPs that just don't work for me so that I can eventually sell them but, I'll still have a excellent representative of it on tape for my own resources.

Dazen1
01-29-2012, 03:31 PM
To expound a little further on this project. I'm truly amazed at how well the Dragon can make a lowly Type l tape sound. My first transfer of Il Baricentro's • Trusciant LP on Maxell LN vintage 1979 or 1980 showed me that you can capture the music and all of it's dynamics if you don't push it too hard. You will get the tapes inherent hiss in the low music passages and silent parts, this may or may not be bothersome to some of us with 50 year old plus ears. I can hear it but it's not as intrusive as it was to me 20 years ago. The B side or Dolby B side is just as dynamic but without the hiss at least to my ears.

Doing this project will also weed out the LPs that just don't work for me so that I can eventually sell them but, I'll still have a excellent representative of it on tape for my own resources.

Sounds like an interesting and worthwhile project Larry.

It has taken me almost twenty years to take type I tapes seriously.

Flick
01-29-2012, 03:32 PM
TDK SA 60. Must be 90's vintage....large rectangular window. Just a bunch of stuff I've been accumulating from different sources ranging from old vinyl to website radio stations. The two selections by Gordon Bok, Ed Trickett and Ann Mayo Muir are from a NEW album (leftover from 1987) that Folk Legacy Records had in stock! They're getting rid of their NOS vinyl so it was only $6 plus $3 shipping!!

Side A:

Preston Reed - Bush Street Beehive
Jennifer Cutting - Summer Will Come 'Round Again
Sinead Lohan - No Mermaid
Connemara Stone Company - Wild West Wind
Mary McCaslin - You Keep Me Hanging On
Gordon Bok, Ed Trickett, Ann Mayo Muir - What You Do With What You Got

Side B:

Gordon Bok, Ed Tricket, Ann Mayo Muir - Julian of Norwich
Lovin' Spoonful - Fishing Blues, Other Side of this Life, Butchie's Tune
Traffic - Dear Mr. Fantasy
Frijid Pink - House of the Rising Sun
The Shins - A Simple Song

Got that last cut from a link here on Tapeheads. Thank you Jbrainey!

Naknut
01-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Sounds like an interesting and worthwhile project Larry.

It has taken me almost twenty years to take type I tapes seriously.

Me too. It took a deck like the Dragon with great calibration features to prove it to me.

We'll see how long I stick to this project as the collection I was given consist of 115 LPs! So far I'm working on my third one.

vince666
01-29-2012, 06:33 PM
To expound a little further on this project. I'm truly amazed at how well the Dragon can make a lowly Type l tape sound. My first transfer of Il Baricentro's • Trusciant LP on Maxell LN vintage 1979 or 1980 showed me that you can capture the music and all of it's dynamics if you don't push it too hard. You will get the tapes inherent hiss in the low music passages and silent parts, this may or may not be bothersome to some of us with 50 year old plus ears. I can hear it but it's not as intrusive as it was to me 20 years ago. The B side or Dolby B side is just as dynamic but without the hiss at least to my ears.

WOW! some italian progressive music from the 70's! *bigthumbup*

yes, i also like Type I tapes... but i tend to use them with dolby B and by pushing the cal.level a tiny amount (say 0.2 to 0.3dB) above the exact sensitivity to help the tracking a little bit while playing them on any decks... IMO, this small trick gives them a bit of the high-end sparkle that they could miss. *wink*

CHEERS,

Vince.

macster
01-29-2012, 07:49 PM
I will be using mostly Type l tape and formally used as I have a ton of it that I have found though the years.
All recording will be done using my Nakamichi Dragon, Denon DP-47F turntable with a Grado Red cartridge.

This is project is called "getting off of my ass you lazy twit".

If you need some type 1 tapes, holler at me (I have a ton) and I have a couple of Grado's lying around also.

M~

SansuiPhoto
01-29-2012, 08:17 PM
I recently purchased some NOS TDK D-60 type I tapes and my project is to record some of my older albums on those. They just have a sound I like for the older vinyl. Today I cleaned up an old Connie Francis album of folk songs. It sounded good so I put it on a D-60 and it sounds sweet. Same result I got when doing a recording of an old Lionel Hampton album and some Nat King Cole selections from old vinyl.

HarvestmanMan
01-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Just finished a tape today in which I selected completely random 45s from my collection.

Tape: Sony HF-60 (purchased new at Kmart on Friday)

Side A
Raiders - Country Wine
Jim Lowe - Green Door
Sweet - Fox on the Run
Hombres - Let It Out
Trini Lopez - Lemon Tree
Clique - Sugar on Sunday
Marcels - Blue Moon
Paul Revere & the Raiders - Steppin' Out
Canned Heat - Let's Work Together
Lovin' Spoonful - Six O'Clock
Jeannie C. Riley - Harper Valley PTA

Side B
Buckinghams - Kind of a Drag
Infinity - Keep It To Yourself
Seekers - Georgy Girl
Bobby Rydell - The Door To Paradise
Leer Brothers Band - Mystery of Love
Timber - In It
Damita Jo - Sweet Georgia Brown
Moody Blues - The Voice
Romantics - Talking in Your Sleep
Herman's Hermits - Leaning on the Lamp Post
Chuck Berry - Carol

Eclectic, to say the least, but I'm very impressed with this newest batch of HFs. *reelspin**reelspin*

macster
01-30-2012, 07:59 AM
Lionel Hampton album and some Nat King Cole selections from old vinyl.

Those guys are great to listen to.

M~

mrfoxboy
01-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Planning on re-doing this tonight:
Tape: Sony HF-120 (1985 Vintage)
Source: 3x chrome prerecorded tapes in the Kenwood KX-3010

Tapes:
- "Rock 'n' Roll High School" Volumes 1+2
- "Dance Hits of the 80's" (tape was released in 1985!)

The original recording was done on the Pioneer CT-X700W (no level control, dual-deck).

Making it for my walkman

ke4mcl
01-30-2012, 04:45 PM
just laid out the tracks for a whitebox special c92 of U2. its all from mp3 tracks but its for playing in boomboxes anyways so its all good.

Naknut
01-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Prog rock project disc #4 Manuel Gottsching E3-E4, German pressing with textured cover.Maxell UD C-90.*reelspin**reelspin*

Oops will have to try another tape, it wont fit on a C90.

Naknut
01-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Project disc #5 Francois Breant • Sons Optiques on the French label EGG. Using a 1982 vintage TDK D.

Naknut
01-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Project disc #6 Strawbs • Ghost A&M Records US release. TDK D C-90 1982.
*reelspin**reelspin*

Wollensak T-1500
01-30-2012, 11:04 PM
If I Could Only Remember My Name -- David Crosby (Entire Album)

Dug up the reel, actual album on reel from the Atlantic label, released 1971.

*reelspin*_*reelspin*

Paspie
02-01-2012, 10:14 AM
I managed to squeeze a recording in today.

Tape: Maxell XL-II (New (Europe 2002-2007))
Bias: High
No Dolby NR but HX Pro

Side A: pending hopefully Tom Petty - Long After Dark
Side B: Tom Petty - Southern Accents

mrfoxboy
02-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Tape: Maxell XLII-90

Side A:
When I kissed the teacher
Me and Bobby and Bobby's brother
Watch out
Hole in your soul
King Kong song
Intermezzo no. 1
Bang-A-Boomerang
Eagle
Tropical love land
Angeleyes
That's me
Love isn't easy
Suzy hang-around

Side B:
Move on
Hasta manana
Disillusion
Soldiers
One man, one woman
The visitors
My love, my life
Andante, Andante
I let the music speak
Like an angel passing through my room

Side A just barely fit (I had about 2seconds after the end of the last track)

Naknut
02-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Project disc #7 Banco - Manticore Records 1975 US release.
Another Maxell UD C-90, although these are tapes that come from different batches they all calibrate almost exactly the same. Very little tweaking on the dials from one to the other. Even the TDK Ds were within a hair of the Maxells.

dragonhead00
02-02-2012, 10:39 PM
I recorded Jim Croce, Photographs & Memories: His Greatest Hits on a TDK D90 with a Technics RS-616 deck using Dolby. Source was the lp on the Hitachi TT.

vince666
02-03-2012, 04:32 AM
Project disc #7 Banco - Manticore Records 1975 US release.
Another Maxell LN C-90, although these are tapes that come from different batches they all calibrate almost exactly the same. Very little tweaking on the dials from one to the other. Even the TDK Ds were within a hair of the Maxells.

nice album! of course i have the Manticore records italian release on vinyl too.

perhaps it's just because i am italian... but i tend to prefer the original versions (sung in italian) of the songs into that album... they seem to sound a bit more "correct" than these translated versions. *scratchchin*

i hope you have also their first 3 albums which are their very best, IMO. *hope*

i mean these ones (these are the Japanese releases which sound GREAT, but i also have the italian releases):

http://www.tapeheads.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=22123&d=1311985370

CHEERS,

Vince.

macster
02-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Date: Feb 03, 2012 Source: VPI Classic SDS/Shure M97XE Jico SAS
Tape Deck: Nak Dragon TDK SA new/CJ PV Electro Harmonix 12AX7 Gold Pins/Morrow PH3

Lester Young - Pres And Teddy And Oscar

All Of Me
Prisoner Of Love
Louise
Pres Returns
Love Me Or Leave Me
Taking A Chance On Love
Love Is Here To Stay
Indiana
Ad Lib Blues
Just You, Just Me
Tea For Two
These Foolish Things (Remind Me Of You)
I Can't Get Started
Star Dust
On The Sunny Side Of The Street
Almost Like Being In Love 3:26
I Can't Give You Anything But Love
There Will Never Be Another You
I'm Confessin' (That I Love You)

M~

vince666
02-04-2012, 04:50 AM
just done it yesterday night, sourced from a bunch of very rare first (and only) press "indie" italian vinyl LPS from the 80's... most of this music was never re-released on CD or on later vinyl pressings. *wink*

of course, being these all "indie" vinyl LPs released in very small runs, the sound quality/mastering/timbre is quite different for any of these albums... but, you know, at that time here in Italy if you weren't working for a major label then the quality of the recording studios was not always the best... but this is just how this stuff was done.

Recorded without any dolby NR on my heavily modified Technics RS-B965M. *reelspin**reelspin*

this is one of the tapes i am doing for a friend here (you know who you are *devil*) and you can consider this mixtape just like a sort of "index" to introduce the listening of some of the whole albums. *flame*

i hope you will like it. *hope*

http://www.tapeheads.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=26735&d=1328355732

CHEERS,

Vince.

Naknut
02-04-2012, 06:26 AM
vince666,
"just done it yesterday night, sourced from a bunch of very rare first (and only) press "indie" italian vinyl LPS from the 80's... most of this music was never re-released on CD or on later vinyl pressings."

Very cool tape, In my way of thinking the very essence of mix tape trading.

Naknut
02-04-2012, 06:36 AM
Getting an early start with Steve Hillage • Fish Rising UK Virgin Release 1975.
I had to use a Maxell UR 120 for this one. IMHO, this is a good one from start to finish. Spacey with a heavy dose of rock guitar.

vince666
02-04-2012, 07:03 AM
Very cool tape, In my way of thinking the very essence of mix tape trading.

Thanks! *bigthumbup*

and i'd add that i am also enjoying my own mixtapes a lot! *devil*

about that one, what i printed on the cover has its own meaning... you can see an upside-down Italy... and, IMO, that music is quite the opposite you would expect to listen from Italy, being mainly old wave/dark/weird stuff from the 80's that was almost unknown even here... (and quite unknown still today!)... and "underground" is meant quite in the literal meaning... "under the ground" being it anything but not "happy" music... eheheh *tongue*

surely it's not a mixtape for "universal" music tastes... eheheh (*eyepop*)
but, much probably, the guy who will receive it much probably will love it anyway! *hope*

and so you like also that mad one like Steve Hillage? *bigthumbup*
i recently bought one of his old vinyl albums and it is something like a very long soundscape... title is "Rainbow Dome Musick" *devil*

CHEERS,

Vince.

parman
02-04-2012, 07:47 AM
Getting an early start with Steve Hillage • Fish Rising UK Virgin Release 1975.
I had to use a Maxell UR 120 for this one. IMHO, this is a good one from start to finish. Spacey with a heavy dose of rock guitar.

Found your prog tape project and I see it's a major work in progress. I'll be following it. *bigthumbsup*

Parnelly
02-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Well after messing around with the reel and getting a little more comfortable with it decided to load some songs on one side.

LPR35 Tape

1. Roxette - Joyride
2. Guns N Roses - Dust N Bones
3. Metallica - Turn The Page
4. Van Halen - Little Dreamer
5. Everclear - Santa Monica
6. Collective Soul - She Gathers Rain
7. Amy Winehouse - Rehab
8. Headstones - 3 Angels
9. Motley Crue - Angela
10. Warrant - Uncle Toms Cabin
11. Creed - Whats This Life For
12. Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears
13. London Quireboys - Whippin Boy
14. Slash's Snakepit - Beggars & Hangers On
15. Rusty - Groovy Dead
16. Alanis Morrisette - Hand In My Pocket
17. ACDC - Chase The Ace
18. Black Label Society - Heart Of Gold
19. Edwin - Alive
20. The Cranberries - Dreams
21. Band Of Horses - The Funeral

Then I put a mix together for uncle as its his bday in a week.

This one I made on the Pioneer Deck CT W600. As usual no reduction, and i used a modern TDK D90.

Hopefully he enjoys it.

Side A:

1. Lou Reed - Sweet Jane
2. Status Quo - Back Water
3. Status Quo - Just Take Me
4. Suzy Quatro - Devil Gate Drive
5. London Quireboys - Misled
6. Twisted Sister - The Kids Are Back
7. Joan Jett - Runaway
8. All Saints - Never Ever
9. Slash - Starlight
10. Nazareth - Sunshine

Side B:

1. London Quireboys - Whippin Boy
2. Teenage Head - Take It
3. Motley Crue - Too Young To Fall In Love
4. Joan Jett - Crimson And Clover
5. FM - Phazers On Stun
6. Lou Reed - Satellite Of Love
7. Suzy Quatro - Shot Of Rhythm And Blues
8. Status Quo - Rockin All Over The World
9. Nazareth - Shanghai'd In Shanghai
10. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird

Couple tracks from the same artists as these are bands he really likes.

That was yesterday, i have another im gonna start working on today.

Naknut
02-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Something a little different. Klaus Schulze • Timewind, 1975 Caroline Records UK gatefold release. Using another Maxell UR 120, 1988 version I think.*reelspin**reelspin*

ke4mcl
02-04-2012, 05:22 PM
TDK AD series from the early 80's i'm guessing. i erased it and recorded it full of miami freestyle dance music for the boombox.

HarvestmanMan
02-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Listening to a Beatles mix I finished up earlier today.

Tape: 1984 Maxell LN60

Side A
1. Strawberry Fields Forever
2. Come Together
3. Lady Madonna
4. Day Tripper
5. Ain't She Sweet
6. A Hard Day's Night
7. I'm Looking Through You
8. She Said She Said
9. Doctor Robert
10. It's All Too Much

Side B
1. She's A Woman
2. I Call Your Name
3. Tell Me What You See
4. Every Little Thing
5. Bad Boy
6. I've Got A Feeling
7. She's Leaving Home
8. Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
9. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
10. Cry Baby Cry
11. I'm So Tired
12. Rain

Parnelly
02-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Just finished up this mix. Its for someone, hence the multiple tracks from the same artists.

Pioneer W600 deck no reductions as per usual

February 04 2012
Tape: TDK D90
Tape Type: I

Side A:

1. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Saturday Night Special
2. Dr. Hook - Queen Of The Silver Dollar
3. Neil Diamond - Brother Loves Travelling Salvation Show
4. John Prine - Thats The Way That The World Goes Round
5. Jackson Browne - Running On Empty
6. Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride
7. CCR - As Long As I Can See The Light
8. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man
9. John Prine - Sam Stone
10. Neil Diamond - I Am I Said

Side B:

1. Dr. Hook - Silvia's Mother
2. Burton Cummings - Break It To Her Gently
3. Tommy James - Crimson And Clover
4. Stampeders - Me And My Stone
5. CCR - Someday Never Comes
6. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Things Goin On
7. Neil Diamond - Holly Holy
8. John Prine - Fish N Whistle
9. Jackson Browne - The Load Out
10. Jackson Brown - Stay
11. John Prine - Paradise

I made a 7" reel of these tracks as i recorded the cassette but length of the tape made me omit songs at the end of each side.

close652
02-05-2012, 02:01 AM
just done it yesterday night, sourced from a bunch of very rare first (and only) press "indie" italian vinyl LPS from the 80's...

nice! :)

Have you noticed the # of your post? *devil*

Big Kelv
02-05-2012, 03:19 AM

Uncanny! Vince definitely has a place on the space ark - posts are aligning!

We're dooomed!

Regards, Kelv

vince666
02-05-2012, 09:03 AM

Uncanny! Vince definitely has a place on the space ark - posts are aligning!

We're dooomed!

Regards, Kelv

WOW! *eyepop* Just noticing it right now! *devil*

it seems definitely a matter of doom! *yes*

Dazen1
02-05-2012, 10:26 AM
WOW! *eyepop* Just noticing it right now! *devil*

it seems definitely a matter of doom! *yes*

You have just triggered the beginning of the apocalypse Vince! *eek*

vince666
02-05-2012, 10:46 AM
You have just triggered the beginning of the apocalypse Vince! *eek*

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH! *yikes*

of course we are not supertitious guys... don't we? *tongue*

LOOOOL *lmao*

Big Kelv
02-05-2012, 11:07 AM
AAAAAAHHHHHHHH! *yikes*

of course we are not supertitious guys... don't we? *tongue*

LOOOOL *lmao*

You don't believe in the Ark? *wink*

Regards, Kelv

vince666
02-05-2012, 11:22 AM
at this point, your ark may be the only way to rescue us all from the apocalypse. *devil*

*bigthumbup*

Parnelly
02-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Put this little number together today. Some brown tape on a TDK 7" reel.

Side A:

1. Boston - More Than A Feeling
2. Prism - Take Me To The Kaptin
3. Alice Cooper - Be My Lover
4. ZZ Top - Have You Heard
5. Led Zeppelin - Boogie With Stu
6. Suzy Quatro - You Can Make Me Want You
7. R.E.O. Speedwagon - 157 Riverside Ave.
8. Supertramp - Crime Of The Century
9. Janis Joplin - Piece Of My Heart
10. Deep Purple - Place In Line
11. Elvis Costello - Green Shirt

Side B:

1. Paul McCartney - Jet
2. Supertramp - The Logical Song
3. Rod Steward - The First Cut Is The Deepest
4. Johnny Winter - Aint Nothin To Me
5. Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
6. Lou Reed - I Remember You
7. Bob Seger - Sun Spot Baby
8. Max Webster - Paradise Skies
9. Billy Squier - Emotions In Motion
10. Aerosmith - Chip Away The Stone
11. ACDC - Ride On

HarvestmanMan
02-05-2012, 07:17 PM
You don't believe in the Ark? *wink*

Regards, Kelv

"Ford tossed down his drink, took the bottle from the first officer's tray and refilled his glass to the top.
'What,' he said, 'is a 'B' Ark?'
'This is,' said the Captain, and swished the foamy water around joyfully with the duck.
'Yes,' said Ford, 'but--'
'Well what happened you see was,' said the Captain, 'our planet, the world from which we have come, was, so to speak, doomed.'
'Doomed?'
'Oh yes. So what everyone thought was, let's pack the whole population into some giant spaceships and go and settle on another planet.' "

That's from "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe", by Douglas Adams, but it's also identical to the plot of the Doctor Who serial "The Ark in Space". Both are excellently written. *bigthumbup*

stereorob
02-05-2012, 07:19 PM
using a 1950s style scotch type 111 reel...

pink floyd dark side of the moon -entire album

uriah heeps majicians birthday
13th floor elevators ur gunna miss me
mook-n-fair -whos your daddy (token rap song)

Nightowl
02-06-2012, 03:18 AM
I have this one friend that likes 80's music and every time we get together I hear songs that I completely forgot about. Whenever that happens I have to make more 80's mix tapes!

1980's vol. 23,24

Wishing (If I Had A Photograph) - Flock Of Seagulls
Baby Love - Regina
The Old Man Down The Road - John Forgerty
Cover Me - Bruce Springsteen
Eye In The Sky - Alan Parsons Project
Piano In The Dark - Brenda Russell
Once In A Lifetime - Talking Heads
Bad Medicine - Bon Jovi
Lost In Your Eyes - Debbie Gibson
Dancing In The Dark - Bruce Springsteen
You Should Hear How She Talks About You - Melissa Manchester
The Living Years - Mike And The Mechanics
Smooth Operator - Sade
Caught Up In You - 38 Special
Faithfully - Journey
Hard For Me To Say Im Sorry - Chicago
All Through The Night - Cyndi Lauper
You Give Love A Bad Name - Bon Jovi
Burning Down The House - Talking Heads

1980's vol. 24,25

Waiting For A Star To Fall - Boy Meets Girl
The Rhythm Is Gonna Get You - Gloria Estefan & The Miami Sound Machine
Conga - Gloria Estefan & The Miami Sound Machine
Shattered Dreams - Johnny Hates Jazz
Fast Car - Tracy Chapman
In The Air Tonight - Phill Collins
Living In America - James Brown
Making Love Out Of Nothing At All - Air Supply
Rhythm Of The Night - El Debarge
I Wont Hold You Back - Toto
Biggest Part Of Me - Ambrosia
Hot In The City - Billy Idol
I Love You - Climax Blues Band
Union Of The Snake - Duran Duran
All Out Of Love - Air Supply
Innocent Man - Billy Joel
Still - Commodores
Is There Something I Should Know - Duran Duran
Heartache Tonight - Eagles

Tape: Maxell UR 90 (1996)
1980's vol. 25

Sad Songs (Say So Much) - Elton John
Sara - Fleetwood Mac
Family Man - Hall & Oates
More Love - Kim Carnes
Hurt So Bad - Linda Rondstat
Boy From New York City - Manhattan Transfer
Hearts - Marty Balin
Let Me Love You Tonight - Pure Prarie League
Steal Away - Robbie Dupree
I Didn't Mean To Turn You On - Robert Palmer
Dead Giveaway - Shalamar
They Don't Know - Tracy Ullman
The Other Woman - Ray Parker Jr. & Raydio
Even The Nights Are Better - Air Supply
Fake - Alexander O Neil
Sex Shooter - Appolonia 6
Secret Lovers - Atlantic Starr
You Spin Me - Dead Or Alive
Photograph - Def Leppard

Big Kelv
02-06-2012, 04:52 AM
"Ford tossed down his drink, took the bottle from the first officer's tray and refilled his glass to the top.
'What,' he said, 'is a 'B' Ark?'
'This is,' said the Captain, and swished toe foamy water around joyfully with the duck.
'Yes,' said Ford, 'but--'
'Well what happened you see was,' said the Captain, 'our planet, the world from which we have come, was, so to speak, doomed.'
'Doomed?'
'Oh yes. So what everyone thought was, let's pack the whole population into some giant spaceships and go and settle on another planet.' "

That's from "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe", by Douglas Adams

Which was taken from the second season of the original radio series og HHGTTG witch was broadcast around the same time as the second book *wink*

Regards, Kelv

dragonhead00
02-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Source: vinyl
Deck: JVC KD-55
NR: Super ANRS
Tape: TDK D90

Side 1: The Best of the Doobies (Warner Bros. Records, 1976)
Side 2: Toto - Toto (Columbia Records, 1978)

vince666
02-07-2012, 07:41 AM
did this one yesterday night.

Side A : Cassandra Complex - Theomania - 1988 vinyl LP
Side B : Cassandra Complex - The War Against Sleep - 1991 vinyl LP

recording deck: Technics RS-B965M with dolby off
tape: Sony UX-S 90 (1988 Eur version)

this time not a printed Jcard but "oldschool" handwritten titles. *flame*

http://www.tapeheads.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=26813&d=1328625462

CHEERS,

Vince.

Dazen1
02-07-2012, 07:51 AM
this time not a printed Jcard but "oldschool" handwritten titles. *flame*

As it should be Vince. *thumbsup*

dragonhead00
02-07-2012, 02:49 PM
I just finished a great taping of Art Pepper: Living Legend (Contemporary Records, 1976)! What Awesome talent!

Cassette deck:JVC KD-55
NR: Super ANRS
Tape: Technics 60LN

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51zNpXN8fqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

vince666
02-07-2012, 03:20 PM
As it should be Vince. *thumbsup*

just like we used to do in the old days! *bigthumbup*

dragonhead00
02-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Recorded some Tony Mottola.

Cassette Deck: JVC KD-55
NR:Super ANRS
Tape: TDK D60

Side 1: Mr. Big: Tony Mottola...Guitar

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa69/dragonhead00/7bda02b4.jpg

Side 2: Tony Mottola and his Orchestra: Spanish Guitar

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa69/dragonhead00/dd9cc08c.jpg

mrfoxboy
02-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Tape: Sony Hi-Fi (1997?)
Source: MP3 files
Bias: Auto

Title: "80's mix"

-Made for a friend of mine, will post tracklist when I get the chance after work

20tajk7
02-10-2012, 01:48 AM
Macy Gray - The Id.

Tape: TDK SA-X 90 (1982)
Deck: Sony TC-K750ES
Source: CD Pioneer PD-Z74T
NR: Off

Avisio
02-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Prodromos Tsaousakis: Συννεφιασμένο δειλινο.

LP recorded to a Basf Chromdioxid II with Pioneer CT-900S. Turntable: Throrens TD 320 mk III with a Goldring Eroica cartridge.

These true chrome tapes have a wonderful smooth and noise free sound. *reelspin**reelspin**reelspin*

20tajk7
02-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Tape: TDK SA-X 90 (1982)
Deck: Sony TC-K750ES
NR: Off
Source: CD Pioneer PD-Z74T

Face A, "On how life is" (1999):
-Why didn't you call me
-Do something
-Caligula
-I try
-Sex-O-matic venus freak
-I can't wait to meetchu
-A moment to myself
-The letter

Face B, "Big" (2007):
-Finally make me happy
-Okay
-Glad you're here (featuring Fergie)
-Ghetto love
-One for me
-Get out
-Treat me like your money (featuring Will I Am)
-Everybody
-AEIOU

mrfoxboy
02-12-2012, 12:50 AM
These true chrome tapes have a wonderful smooth and noise free sound. *reelspin**reelspin**reelspin*

Oh yes I got about 5 of those (slightly older) and they are like velvet!
That said, my most recent tape is:

Title: "Huey Lewis, Doug & the Slugs, The Spoons, The Box, Payola$, Platinum Blonde"
Tape: ~1999 TDK D90
Source: MP3, cassette and Vinyl
Bias; Automatic

Side A:
(Huey Lewis)
- Stuck with you
- Hip to be square
- Doing it all for my baby
- Do you believe in love
- If this is it

(Doug & the Slugs)
- Day by day
- Too bad
- Who knows how to make love stay
- Making it work

(Spoons)
- Romantic traffic
- Nova heart
- Old emotions

Side B:
(Spoons continued)
- Tell no lies
- Talk back

(The Box)
- L'affaire Dumoutier
- Closer together
- Ordinary people
- Must I always remember
- Walk away

(Payola$)
- Dirty water
- You're the only love

(Platinum Blonde)
- Standing in the dark
- Crying over you

darkstar078
02-12-2012, 07:17 AM
@Vince: Can't remember what the name was all about but their early 12's stuff I remember like Moscow Idaho.

Obscure music, I've seen lots of these 80's bands for €5 in Paradiso Amsterdam.

vince666
02-12-2012, 08:44 AM
yes, darkstar... The Cassandra Complex (they also are known directly with the "CX" logo) is the band...

the release you are mentioning is one of their early 12" from mid 80's (you can see it here below):
http://www.discogs.com/Cassandra-Complex-Moscow-Idaho/master/35057

surely it is one of the very obscure bands from the 80's and, though these old vinyl pressings are quite rare, really almost nobody likes or buys that music... so it's still quite common to find them at very low prices. *wink*

about "CX" i have only a couple of vinyl LPs and a couple of CDs (the ones i was able to find here many years ago) but i know quite any of their albums (which i have only in mp3 format)...

despite the "CX" are quite unknown... really they are one of the very early seminal bands for a certain kind of music... if we just want to give their music-style a label (but really no "labels" completely work with certain music) then we could think about words like goth, electro, EBM, industrial... but really Cassandra Complex do have their own unique style (which i must say it's not that easy to listen to... eheheh *devil*) but i really like them... i was grown up with this kind of 80's weird music. *hearts*

CHEERS,

Vince.

Flick
02-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Just a collection of stuff that needed a home on one tape. These were all taken from internet radio stations that play either CDs or what has to be high quality MP3s because they sounded smooth right from the computer. There was no mid range harshness which has been my biggest complaint about lower quality MP3s; so I'm not sure what format they played over the net but whatever was used sounds okay to me. A Teac V-250 took the stuff off the computer, a Yamaha KX 250 played it back into a Sony TC FX171. Both the source tape and the dubbed tape are Maxell XL II "man in the chair." No noise reduction was used when taking the music from the computer but I did use Dolby B for the final dubbing.

Side A

The Decemberists - Calamity Song
Masterless Men - Mingulay Boat Song
The Black Family - Mommy I'm Yours
Karnataka - The Gathering Light
The Ritz - Elmer Fudd Medley

Side B

Realtime - I'll Follow The Sun
Realtime - I'm A Believer
Michael F. Reale - Follow Your Dreams
Joker's Wild - If You Had The World and its Gold
A Touch of North - In This Heart
Heather Heywood - Some People Cry
Utah Phillips - Moose Turd Pie
Karnataka - The Writing On The Wall.

vince666
02-14-2012, 05:40 PM
just doing a Sony HF90 (1986-87 version) with dolby B on my Pioneer CT-737markII from some classic rock vinyl LPs...

Side A : Random Hold - Etceteraville - 1980
Side B : Ironhorse - Ironhorse - 1979

sometimes it's nice to go back to some old rock music! *bigthumbup*

CHEERS,

Vince.

nucleus
02-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Last I found used was Primus - Pork Soda. :)

mrfoxboy
02-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Made for a friend of mine (Knight2001) who is just getting into tapes.
Tape: Maxell UR120 (Current Gen)
Source: 320Kbps MP3, Vinyl

Jean-Michel Jarre
Side A:
"Oxygène" (320Kbps MP3)
"Équinoxe" Parts 1-4 (320Kbps MP3)

Side B:
"Équinoxe" Parts 5-8 (320Kbps MP3)
"Les Chants Magnétiques" (AKA "Magnetic Fields") (Vinyl)

ianC90
02-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Tape Maxell UR (Current)
Deck Teac V5000
Source Sony PS1350 TT
NR none

Side A
Lou Reed - Berlin
R. Orbison - In Dreams
Kinks - Waterloo Sunset
Eno - I'll Come Running
Dylan - She Belongs To Me
N. Young - Love Is A Rose
L. Cohen - Take This Longing
Otis Redding - I've Been Loving You Too Long
Ray Charles - I Got A Woman (live)
Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved A Man
The Teddy Bears - To Know Him Is To Love Him
Ike & Tina Turner - River Deep, Mountain High
Yoko Ono -I'm Your Angel

Side B
Tom Waits - Intro/Better Off Without A Wife
Richard + Linda Thompson - Has He Got A Friend For Me
Muddy Waters - Find Yourself Another Fool
John Cale - Memphis
Elvis - Baby Let's Play House
Randy Newman - Guilty
Rickie Lee Jones - The Last Chance Texaco
John Hiatt - Icy Blue Heart
Mazzy Star - I've Been Let Down
Ferron - Ain't Life A Brook

I was in a bit of a rush to get the last two tapes mailed out, so I'm sorry for the lack of pictures.

ianC90
02-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Tape TDK D
Deck Teac V5000
Source Sony PS1350 TT
NR none

Side A
Clash - White Riot
Fastbacks - Won't Have To Worry
Teengenerate - Top Down
Tonics - I Hate Music
Young Fresh Fellows - Disco Sucks
Eno - Needles In The Camel's Eye
Roxy Music - Re-make/Re-model
Mikis Theodorakis - Cafe Rock
Contortions -Design To Kill
Son of Dave - So Good, So Wrong
The Mooney Suzuki -Say Man, What Time Is It?
Man... or Astroman? - 24 Hours
The Sweet - Blockbuster
The Cramps - Uranium Rock
Alternative TV - Action Time Vision
Squeeze - Backtrack

Side B
The Residents - It's A Man's Man's Man's World (live)
The Wild Knights - Beaver Patrol
Forgotten Rebels - No Beatles Reunion
Monty Python - "Rock Notes"
Kim Fowley - The Trip
The Elastik Band - Spazz
Ramones - Cretin Hop
Stooges - I Wanna Be Your Dog
Boomtown Rats - I Don't Like Mondays
Jesus & Mary Chain - Just Like Honey
My Bloody Valentine - Blown A Wish
Mazzy Star - Look On Down From The Bridge
Tom Wiats - Soldier's Thanks

Big Kelv
02-20-2012, 12:45 PM
The Residents - It's A Man's Man's Man's World (live)
The Wild Knights - Beaver Patrol

Now we're talking! Which live version is it? My favourite is the 13th anniversary tour edition from Tokyo although the Holland version from the same tour is good as well.

Is beaver patrol a cover of the PWEI song of the same title?

I can feel a tape swap coming on if you're interested!

Regards, Kelv

ianC90
02-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Now we're talking! Which live version is it? My favourite is the 13th anniversary tour edition from Tokyo although the Holland version from the same tour is good as well.

Is beaver patrol a cover of the PWEI song of the same title?

I can feel a tape swap coming on if you're interested!

Regards, Kelv

Yeah! The Residents track is from the Tokyo show, and "Beaver Patrol" is the original 45 from my copy of "Pebbles Vol. One". Love the idea of a swap - pm me your address and I'll get started!

SilverFox
02-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Ignored 80s Rock, Vol. 1. This is the stuff that I never hear on local classic rock stations who are stuck on Stairway to Heaven.

Recorded on a JVC GI-60 tape NOS with dolby b

Side A
Triumph - Fight the Good Fight
Whitesnake - Crying in the Rain
Van Halen - When It's Love
Asia - Only Time Will Tell
Rainbow - Street of Dreams

Side B
Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart
UFO - Lights Out
Queensryche - I Don't Believe In Love
Judas Priest - Turbo Lover
Scorpions - Blackout
Motley Crue- Kickstart My Heart

SilverFox
02-20-2012, 03:09 PM
CBC Radio 3 Internet Stream, 2/19/12
Tape 1 & 2
2 TDK D-90s (mid 90s version)
Dolby B

macster
02-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Date: 02/20/2012
Source: VPI Classic / 10.5i SE / SDS/ Shure M97XE Jico SAS
Tape Deck: Nakamichi Dragon / Tape: NAC Chrome / Morrow PH3

Cannonball Adderley With Bill Evans – Know What I Mean?

Waltz For Debby
Goodbye
Who Cares?
Venice
Toy
Elsa
Nancy (With The Laughing Face)
Know What I Mean

Bill Evans Trio* - At Shelly's Manne-Hole, Hollywood, California

Isn't It Romantic
The Boy Next Door
Wonder Why
Swedish Pastry
Our Love Is Here To Stay
'Round Midnight
Stella By Starlight
Blues In "F"

Template here (www.blkmacster.com/recordings/BillEvansTrioCannobalAdderlyRiverside.pub)

M~

parman
02-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Ignored 80s Rock, Vol. 1. This is the stuff that I never hear on local classic rock stations who are stuck on Stairway to Heaven.

Recorded on a JVC GI-60 tape NOS with dolby b

Side A
Triumph - Fight the Good Fight
Whitesnake - Crying in the Rain
Van Halen - When It's Love
Asia - Only Time Will Tell
Rainbow - Street of Dreams

Side B
Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart
UFO - Lights Out
Queensryche - I Don't Believe In Love
Judas Priest - Turbo Lover
Scorpions - Blackout
Motley Crue- Kickstart My Heart

This is what I like about 60 min. tapes for mixtapes, short and sweet without having to try too hard to fill it up. *yesss*

audioribbon
02-21-2012, 01:51 AM
on the 2 tdk's was the 1st 4 demo tapes by Mr. Bungle (the wraging wrath of the easter bunny, bowel of chiley, goddammit i love america, OU818, and extra live cover versions). originally cassette to mp3 and now back to cassette again. deck: jvc KD-V200 dolbyB cro2

on the 2 fuji's was compilation LP's beginning with "punk lives, let's slam Vol2 (1 33rpm 12" solid black)", "Wet Dreams (1 33rpm 12" solid black)", "Start a Riot (1 33rpm 12" transparent blue)", "Cry Now, Cry Later (2 33rpm 7" transparent brown)", and finally "Active Minds (single sided 7" 33rpm flexidisc)". deck: Technics m218 dolbyIN norm

put a new Shure cartridge stylus onto the table beforehand, learned some tweezer dexterity and about red, white, blue, and green wire assignment including grounding, arm weight, anti-skating, and pitch-control.

got some music for the sony tape walkman now, don't wanna mess around with ipod itunes.

Parnelly
02-21-2012, 06:59 AM
Ive made a few over the weekend. All are on the typical setup... Technics TT Pickering Cart, Yamaha KX800 no NR.

First was Black Label Society Skullage Greatest Hits on a man in the chair UR 90.

Next was A Tribe Called Quest Anthology also on a man in the chair UR90

Then I put down a bootleg off the pc... Rollings Stones Brussels Affair on a Memorex DB C60.

audioribbon
02-22-2012, 10:18 PM
some tapes and mini-cd's i put together of some audio projects i've been in. 2 back issues. the tapes were top40 music industry, near unused, so i tore up the covers, erased the tapes, affixed labels on the shells. used a dual deck in the hallway under the smoke detector on high speed to dubb em up. no dolby this time. direct from mastertapes. extra credits and mini poster inserts were added into the cases, giving the tapes a rather tight fit. next time i'm in the used cassette and cd sections of the local stores across town i'll take them out of my pockets and place them onto the shelves when no one is looking.
Mid Island Dolby - Hello Codex Live 11/12 (mini-cd's) and bonus material.
Mid Island Dolby - MID-RE (Lines Remixed)
Mid Island Dolby - Bands and Fields (contains Lines original ep and tracks from Hello Codex as an ep), full color cover wrapped in black and white paper print of "Dragon Boy" (like Zep's paper bag version of "In Through the Out Door")

Naknut
02-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Reverse shoplifting eh audioribbon? I wouldn't mind finding those.

Naknut
02-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Recorded these just the other day for a fellow THer. Vinyl not in pristine condition but acceptable I hope. No dolby on a Maxell XLll-S C100.
*reelspin**reelspin* Funny look of the Captain Beyond is the lenticular cover, an original issue.

vince666
02-23-2012, 04:39 PM
next time i'm in the used cassette and cd sections of the local stores across town i'll take them out of my pockets and place them onto the shelves when no one is looking.

that is really funny! *bigthumbup*

i wonder which price they will apply. *devil*

mrfoxboy
02-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Tape: 2x Maxell XLII-90 (1985 Vintage)
Source: Hitachi HT-350 and PC

Tape 1:
A: Doug and the Slugs - "Music for the Hard of Thinking" (LP)
B: Boz Scaggs - "Hits!" (LP)

Tape 2:
A: Gino Vannelli - "Big Dreamers Never Sleep" (FLAC files)
B: Nik Kershaw - "Human Racing" (LP)

mrfoxboy
02-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Might not be "audio" cassette, but:
Tape: Maxell Standard T120 (AKA GX-Silver)
Deck: Quasar VH-5857K
Source: TMN (canadian channel)
HiFi: Yes
Speed: SP
Launched from: Timer

Title: "Battle: Los Angeles"

audioribbon
02-25-2012, 09:58 AM
that is really funny! *bigthumbup*

i need a life. ever seen charlie chaplin backwards?

[/QUOTE]i wonder which price they will apply. *devil*[/QUOTE]

they will cost a buck each, it's for a good cause (food banks).

audioribbon
02-26-2012, 04:31 AM
RevCo Live in sept 87 at metro. wow, this BASF chrome extraII is amazing! cro2 switched ON, dolbyB switched ON, pulse green into red lights at +3dB. 27338

Naknut
02-26-2012, 07:02 AM
My latest tape is for Parman. Not a mix-tape just a sampling of Prog rock. I picked two out of my collection that give two completely different slices of the progressive pie. And boy do they taste different. Here's hoping that he doesn't already have these.

Gentle Giant • Octopus, UK Vertigo release. Magma • Kohntarkosz, US A&M release. Recorded using the Dragon on a Fuji DR-ll of recent vintage using Dolby B. *reelspin**reelspin*

Dazen1
02-26-2012, 07:07 AM
My latest tape is for Parman. Not a mix-tape just a sampling of Prog rock. I picked two out of my collection that give two completely different slices of the progressive pie. And boy do they taste different. Here's hoping that he doesn't already have these.

Gentle Giant • Octopus, UK Virgin release. Magma • Kohntarkosz, US A&M release. Recorded using the Dragon on a Fuji DR-ll of recent vintage using Dolby B. *reelspin**reelspin*

Magma is crazy stuff indeed. *bigthumbup*

vince666
02-26-2012, 07:35 AM
Daren, i seem to understand you LIKE also 70's progressive music... true? *devil*

and, if so, then it's nice to know it. *wink*

CHEERS,

Vince.

Dazen1
02-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Daren, i seem to understand you LIKE also 70's progressive music... true? *devil*

and, if so, then it's nice to know it. *wink*

CHEERS,

Vince.

Some. :)

Magma, Pazop, Aphrodite's Child, Soft Machine...

vince666
02-26-2012, 08:48 AM
well... you mean just the most experimental side of 70's progressive music. *wink*

Arnold_Layne
03-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Newest tape:

Maxell UR90 Green J card (made in korea tape)

Title: Have you ever seen the rain?

Side A:

Rain – The Beatles
I Love A Rainy Night – Eddie Rabbit
Riders On The Storm – The Doors
Have You Ever Seen The Rain? – CCR
Raining In Baltimore – Counting Crows
The Rain Song – Led Zeppelin
Purple Rain – Prince & The Revolution
It Can’t Rain All The Time – Jane Siberry

Side B:
Red Rain – Peter Gabriel
Sunday In The Rain – Gandalf Murphy & The Slambovian Circus Of Dreams
Who’ll Stop The Rain – CCR
Fool In The Rain – Led Zeppelin
November Rain – Guns N’ Roses
The Sky Is Crying – Stevie Ray Vaughn
Another Rainy Night (Without You) – Queensryche
Tears In The Rain – Joe Satriani
Love Reign O’er Me – The Who

A_L

BlazeES
03-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Newst tape:

Maxell UR90 Green J card (made in korea tape)

Title: Have you ever seen the rain?

Side A:

Rain – The Beatles
I Love A Rainy Night – Eddie Rabbit
Riders On The Storm – The Doors
Have You Ever Seen The Rain? – CCR
Raining In Baltimore – Counting Crows
The Rain Song – Led Zeppelin
Purple Rain – Prince & The Revolution
It Can’t Rain All The Time – Jane Siberry

Side B:
Red Rain – Peter Gabriel
Sunday In The Rain – Gandalf Murphy & The Slambovian Circus Of Dreams
Who’ll Stop The Rain – CCR
Fool In The Rain – Led Zeppelin
November Rain – Guns N’ Roses
The Sky Is Crying – Stevie Ray Vaughn
Another Rainy Night (Without You) – Queensryche
Tears In The Rain – Joe Satriani
Love Reign O’er Me – The Who

A_L

Great set list!

audioribbon
03-11-2012, 01:42 AM
1 tape copy was a gift for a friend. found the "double live album" at a rather new analog shop downtown. dolby B switched to ON.

AnalogueTim
03-11-2012, 05:11 AM
My latest recording it's on the way, i just made the selection and my RAKS ED-X60 cassette it's ready. The compilation is:

A: 1. Mike Oldfield -Foreign affair
2. Thomas Anders -The sweet hello, the sad goodbye
3. Cher -Baby save up all your tears
4. Paula Abdul -Rush rush
5. Silent Circle -Touch in the night
6. --II--II---- - Hide away,[man is coming]
7. Grant Miller -Vings of love

B: 1. Silent Circle -Stop the rain in the night
2. Sandy Marton -People from Ibiza
3. Richard Marx -Angelia
4. Enya -Orinocco flow
5. Roger Meno -Find the way
6. Europe -Carrie
I hope to sound good*hope*

Davedm3
03-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Latest tape is a 70s rock themed tape.

TDK FE Ferric 90 Dolby B

Side 1
ZZ Top - Ten Dollar Man (Tejas 1976)
Alice Cooper - Elected (Billion Dollar Babies 1973)
Aerosmith - Train Kept a Rollin (Get Your Wings 1974)
UFO - Too Hot Too Handle (Lights Out 1977)
Blackfoot - I Got A Line (Strikes 1979)
Yesterday & Today - 25 Hours a Day (Yesterday & Today 1976)
Van Halen - Beautiful Girls (Van Halen II 1979)
Rainbow - Black Sheep Of the Family (Richie Blackmore's Rainbow 1975)
Rush - Anthem (Fly By Night 1975)
Led Zeppelin - 10 Years Gone (Physical Graffiti 1975)

Side 2

Thin Lizzy - Emerald (Jailbreak 1976)
Lynyrd Skynyrd - The Needle and the Spoon (Second Helping 1974)
Pink Floyd - Brain Damage/Eclipse (Dark Side Of the Moon 1973)
The Who - The Seeker (Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy 1971)
Captain Beyond - Mesmerisation Eclipse (Captain Beyond 1972)
Pentagram - Lazy Lady (1975)
Hawkwind - Hurry on Sundown(Hawkwind 1970)
The Doors - Riders On The Storm (LA Woman 1971)
UFO - Love to Love (Lights Out 1977)
Judas Priest - Tyrant (Sad Wings Of Destiny 1976)

leeoverstreet
03-12-2012, 12:59 AM
audioribbon: ACK!! Don't sit tapes directly on the vinyl!!!

MY OCD alarm is going off...*fit*

vince666
03-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Pentagram - Lazy Lady (1975)

WOW! *bigthumbup*

that is a really nice band! *devil*

i have their first vinyl album, originally released in 1984 as self-titled, in the re-release named "Relentless" made in 1993... and i LIKE it a lot! *hearts*

CHEERS,

Vince.

BigM.
03-12-2012, 08:09 PM
I appreciate relaxing to tribal type grooves that seldom appear in the music I love most. I was thrilled to find a record store a few years ago, out of town that had used records divided by band, so I began stocking up on Gap Band vinyl. I totally overlooked this band when they were in their prime. Its easy to criticize them, cliches everywhere...both musically and lyrically.....yet they were capable of infectuous bass heavy jams within a pop context. I dont like playing their records without skipping tunes, to me the entire albums do not play so well...at least by my expectations so a mix tape was in order. I wanted to make a tape for my pre-teen nephew who relates to dance music so I figured some de-odorized funk was in order:

(selections from their second through fifth album, used a Fuji DR-I 90 min. to see how it would handle the MiniMoog bass, no digital source material)

Side A:
Steppin Out
I Dont Believe you Want to Get Up and Dance
Who do you Call
Party Lights
When I Look into Your Eyes
Burn Rubber On Me
Are You Living
Humpin

Side B:
Gash Gash Gash
Early in the Morning (from a 12")
You Dropped a Bomb on Me
Talkin Bout (hardly the song by 3, K. Emerson, Berry, Palmer)
Shake a Leg
Party Train
Jam the Motha
I Expect More (leaves a few minutes at the end of the tape yet this song seemed to be an appropriate closer)

1979TDKAD-C90
03-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Tape #69-Dolby C recorded 3.10.2012 from vinyl records.
SIDE 1-Phil Collins "Hello I Must Be Going"
SIDE 2-Simple Minds "Once Upon A Time"
ON A TDK-D90 from 1982

mrfoxboy
03-14-2012, 10:59 PM

Nothing about using the wrong labels, or, to some (read: me) using labels at all!
:p

leeoverstreet
03-14-2012, 11:49 PM
Nothing about using the wrong labels, or, to some (read: me) using labels at all!
:p

HA! Yeah, after I saw the tapes sitting directly on the vinyl, I blacked out and couldn't see anything else.*sigh*

mrfoxboy
03-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Tape: Fuji ZII-100
Source: Galaxie Eclectic Electronica

Title: "Electronica"

audioribbon
03-18-2012, 05:13 AM

i like balancing rocks too.

audioribbon
03-18-2012, 05:14 AM
Tape: Fuji ZII-100
Source: Galaxie Eclectic Electronica

Title: "Electronica"

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AnalogueTim
03-18-2012, 05:23 AM
I just made today a nice compilation with BAD BOYS BLUE - Greatest Hits, the cassette i used Sony HF-60 with no dolby, sounding just wonderful*bigthumbup*

audioribbon
03-18-2012, 05:29 AM
2 full length albums by Crystal Castles onto 1 typeII cassette.

mp3>analog. NR-B.

Big Kelv
03-18-2012, 06:32 AM
As part on my latest project, I mastered this yesterday to half track reel and I'm currently listening to a dub on a 'BASF' Chrome Super II for quality control purposes:

Bass Inc. - Gauging' The Bass Again (1988 Acetate)
Derek B - Bullet From A Gun (1988 from the album of the same title)
CJ Mackintosh & Merlin - The Tables Are Turning (1987 12")
Cold Cut - Not Paid Enough (1988 White Label)
Bomb The Bass ft Merlin - Megablast Rap (1988 from Into The Dragon)
Einstein - Friday Night, Saturday Morning (1988 12")

The Cold Cut track brought Eric B & Rakim fame here in UK and listening to it now it seems there is something missing after hearing the final Paid In Full so many times.

In retrospect, Einstein seems to be the UK answer to Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince.

The first side of this tape is a snapshot of 1987/8 hip hop culture in the UK and I'm considering ditching it in favour of more international appeal.

Regards, Kelv (selecting tracks for side 2 of Hip Hop Tapeheads 2)

Elite-ist
03-18-2012, 06:40 AM
As part on my latest project, I mastered this yesterday to half track reel and I'm currently listening to a dub on a 'BASF' Chrome Super II for quality control purposes:

Bass Inc. - Gauging' The Bass Again (1988 Acetate)
Derek B - Bullet From A Gun (1988 from the album of the same title)
CJ Mackintosh & Merlin - The Tables Are Turning (1987 12")
Cold Cut - Not Paid Enough (1988 White Label)
Bomb The Bass ft Merlin - Megablast Rap (1988 from Into The Dragon)
Einstein - Friday Night, Saturday Morning (1988 12")

The Cold Cut track brought Eric B & Rakim fame here in UK and listening to it now it seems there is something missing after hearing the final Paid In Full so many times.

In retrospect, Einstein seems to be the UK answer to Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince.

The first side of this tape is a snapshot of 1987/8 hip hop culture in the UK and I'm considering ditching it in favour of more international appeal.

Regards, Kelv (selecting tracks for side 2 of Hip Hop Tapeheads 2)

Kelv: Could you give us updates on the process you took in creating your Hip-Hop Tapeheads 2 Tape? I'm just as interested in the making of the tape, as the final product.

Nando.

Big Kelv
03-18-2012, 06:55 AM
No problems Nando!

I was thinking of doing a 'making of a mix tape' thread with pictures in the usual place anyway *wink*

Regards, Kelv

mrfoxboy
03-22-2012, 09:17 PM
been busy these last few days...making tapes! And enjoying the first days of the warm weather!

3xMaxell XLII-90

A - Ratt - "Out of the Cellar" / first track of Paul Young's "Secret of Association"
B - Paul Young - "The Secret of Association"

A - Brighton Rock - "Young, Wild and Free"
B - Kajagoogoo - "White Feathers"

A - Helix - "Walkin' the Razor's Edge"
B - Helix - "Long Way to Heaven"

Fuji ZII-100

A - Big Country - "The Crossing"
B - Billy Ocean - "Suddenly"

All tapes:
Source: Hitachi HT-350 w/ Orthofon OMB-10

mrfoxboy
03-22-2012, 09:18 PM
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! I really like the performance of this tape. Definetely underrated!

Marc Hugo
03-23-2012, 11:17 AM
I just made today a nice compilation with BAD BOYS BLUE - Greatest Hits, the cassette i used Sony HF-60 with no dolby, sounding just wonderful*bigthumbup*

Nice album Tim - what deck? Also, look out for this particular pre-recorded cassette, "Totally BBB" - an unusually excellent copy, well above normal musicassette standards. German edition...

Pic attached.

Mh

AnalogueTim
03-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Nice album Tim - what deck? Also, look out for this particular pre-recorded cassette, "Totally BBB" - an unusually excellent copy, well above normal musicassette standards. German edition...

Pic attached.

Mh

I used My older Philips-6121, the recording sound great with this HF's from Sony, and i love BBB, i wonder about that interesting ''Totally BBB'' compilation but i think i can find it, thanks for the tip Marc.:) Regards Tim.