PDA

View Full Version : 'Holy flaming hot Cat Woman' Batman! Sony HF type 1.

Time_Stand_Still
01-22-2009, 03:30 AM
Picked up some HF-90's the other day. Have had yet to use them in my system. First off, the shell is low buck, typical of many tapes today, add the cheezy painted on writing strip which is low buck too but meh I print all my tape labels off my computer anyways...

So I figured lets get a recording on one. I pulled out Chuck Mangione, Children of Sanchez double LP set. I guess he found time away from the Mega-lo-mart *headtunes* to make the double LP recording. If I may diverge for a moment, it is a beautiful album, superbly recorded and transferred to vinyl (care of Bob Ludwig of Masterdisk, so it's no surprise). Lovely music especially during a pleasant evening listening session.

At first I thought maybe I'm going too low buck for a tape to use but meh I gave it ago. I set it up in my JVC TD-V541 3 head deck, adjusted the bias and chose Dolby C nr. and again 'Holy leaping Penguins' Batman, I was almost floored at how the tape sounded in a comparison between it and my LP record. This tape runs great through my JVC deck. I cannot believe at which how often a type 1 tape can sound so nice if you set things up well. You do not always expect much from many modern low priced blank tapes today but just like the TDK D-90 I ran through a while back this Sony HF-90 impressed me greatly.

Yes, it's not going to win shell design awards but on this TD-V541 deck it kicked arse. I will try another on my Denon DRM-700 soon to see how well that deck may like it.

The tape shell has more mechanical noise than say a TDK D-90 or a Fuji DR-1 but nothing too obtrusive.

Well I just had to drop a few words on this tape. I wish it had a better shell design but the tape formulation sounded very close to the general fidelity of the LP once properly setup in bias, recording level (peaks were pushed to +5db on my JVC's meter without audible grunge or distortion of any note) and n/r. *reelspin**reelspin*

Scorpion8
01-22-2009, 09:58 AM
That's good news, as those tapes are very available. Thanks for the good review.

close652
01-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Could you give us a pic, which type it is? Is it the very latest?

Web Police
01-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the review. I had to read it with the Batman references, although I wasn't sure if it was going to be a good or bad review till I read through it. *thumbsup*

Time_Stand_Still
01-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Could you give us a pic, which type it is? Is it the very latest?

Yes, they were brand new stock picked up locally.

close652
01-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks, I just wonder if there is a difference between US an EU market versions. I have some from the mid-1990s - 2000 period. They are OK, but nothing special.
This is what we have in stores today:
http://sp.sony-europe.com/media/2/873

Time_Stand_Still
01-22-2009, 11:52 AM
http://images.jr.com/productimages/SONC120HFL2B.PNG?CELL=380,380&QLT=67&FTR=3&BGCOLOR=FFFFFF&CVT=jpeg

This is the package look for the HF-90's I bought.