PDA

View Full Version : One more radio review: Tecsun R-304

NAD613
07-30-2013, 11:16 PM
I saw this radio on Ebay and I couldn't resist. Yeah, from another Hong Kong wholesaler, I bought another Tecsun radio, the R-304. It's a radio that reminds me a lot of some of the Panasonic portables from the 70s, especially the speaker grill. My grandpa had a Panasonic similar to this out on the farm in the kitchen. I can remember hearing the hourly CBS Radio News theme playing as grandma fried eggs for breakfast.

The Tecsun R-304 is sold online thru many Chinese wholesalers (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Teh-son-r-304-radio-r304-semiportable-black-a1202-fm-shortwave/841781984.html) for around $30-$35. It's an AC/DC unit, but the AC is non-U.S. 220 volts, but that's fine by me, as the DC is powered by 2 "D" batteries. That means lots of play for a long time. Tecsun seems to be one of the only companies making medium-sized portable radios that run off 2 "D" batteries. Most radios that look like this run off 4 AA batteries. The tuner section picks up AM, FM, SW1, & SW2.

When I first opened it up and popped in some Tenergy batteries, it was still daylight outside. The radio has a red LED tuning signal light and it picked up all the local AM & FM stations fine. However, I was a little disappointed in the lack of AM reception for out-of-town stations. But, it was daylight, after all. Once it was dark, I was picking up AM station like crazy! 780 Chicago, 960 Calgary, Omaha, etc, etc.... This radio has an EXCELLENT AM tuner at night, maybe the best one I have on any radio.

Anyway, this is probably the last radio I'll be buying for awhile, as I haven't seen anymore that I really like.

Ghitulescu
07-31-2013, 12:38 AM
I hope you noticed that it works also below CCIR and thus can receive the first two TV channels as well.

nitroengine
07-31-2013, 03:05 AM
Nice radio!

My best AM radio is a little late 60s Panasonic R-1551 AM only radio. Found it at Goodwill for $4 a few years ago. I can pick up stations from all over the place at night, better than I can with any of my other AM radios. I just snapped it on and within 10 minutes I have picked up and identified 700 WLW Cincinnati, OH 740 CFZM "Zoomer Radio" Toronto, ON 650 WSM Nashville, TN 780 WBBM Chicago, IL 720 WGM Chicago, IL. I didn't have the patience to wait for the call signs of every radio station I landed on, there sure were more stations than there are during the day. If you like AM "DXing" this is a perfect little radio for it.

NAD613
07-31-2013, 09:46 AM
I hope you noticed that it works also below CCIR and thus can receive the first two TV channels as well.

I don't think that works in the U.S. anymore, as all the TV signals have converted to digital and all those "TV sound" radios are now obsolete.

NAD613
07-31-2013, 12:10 PM
Another thing I forgot to mention; The Tecsun R-304 has a fine-tuning knob. The outside of the tuning knob is the regular tuner, but then it has a smaller knob set within it geared at a different ratio so you can fine tune the radio. Very nice feature, IMHO.