PDA

View Full Version : What's that white gear oil stuff called?

4tified
12-21-2008, 07:07 AM
Funny question, I know. I have a Yamaha CD-RW drive that I took apart for cleaning and am re-assembling, but I need to relubricate the parts. What is that thick white oil/lubricant called that lubrictes the slide tray and plastic gears? I can't seem to find it anywhere online and the guys at rat shack look at me dumbfounded. Thanks!

graffias79
12-21-2008, 07:14 AM
It may be lithium grease. I have some for repairing turntables. I bought a big tube of it at Home Depot.

4tified
12-21-2008, 09:47 AM
It may be lithium grease. I have some for repairing turntables. I bought a big tube of it at Home Depot.

Thanks Graffias, I grabbed some from Home Depot this morning..very cheap and the tube is 8oz....so this stuff should last for about 35 years.

stuwee
12-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks Graffias, I grabbed some from Home Depot this morning..very cheap and the tube is 8oz....so this stuff should last for about 35 years.

Depends on what else you'll use it for *naughty* *grin* sorry!

Web Police
12-21-2008, 10:08 AM

stuwee, he said lithium grease, not lithium salts. *scratchchin*

oh nevermind you were thinking of the grease. *eyepop*

Scorpion8
12-21-2008, 10:34 AM

My faith is restored. Gotta hand it to stuwee who can take ANY thread, ANY post and corrupt it to his tawdry humor. *grin*

Yes, white lithium grease. Excellent for thos plastic cog wheels and gears in tape decks, and for sliding head block mechanisms.

4tified
12-21-2008, 10:59 AM

*lmao* I had a feeling Stuwee would show up.

wollensak1580
01-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Funny question, I know. I have a Yamaha CD-RW drive that I took apart for cleaning and am re-assembling, but I need to relubricate the parts. What is that thick white oil/lubricant called that lubrictes the slide tray and plastic gears? I can't seem to find it anywhere online and the guys at rat shack look at me dumbfounded. Thanks!

The sales person's at Radio Shack are nothing like they use to be. They use to have knowledge about analog gear, etc. Now it's hit and miss.