PDA

View Full Version : HELP

NickH
12-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi all,

I have a pioneer rt1011l which has a problem. I wanted to ask here before I start working on it. The problem is the thing won't play. All the motors work. The problem is when I push the play button nothing happens, no solenoids engage. The thing worked for awhile and just stopped. It's almost like the play switch is the problem. Does anyone know if these switches ever fail or are they pretty bullet proof.

I have the service manual with the schematics but I don't have the owners manual. I'm competent to do the work to fix it but I wanted to ask here before I start trying to figure this out, to see if there's any common problems that could cause this problem with this unit.

Thanks for the help,

Nick

Scorpion8
12-16-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm sure a Pioneer deck afficiando will chime in soon. I would suspect either many other other possibilities before I suspected the pushbuttons. I'm sure they fail, but the potential is probably small.

Do you hear any solenoids clicking or trying to engage when you push PLAY? Have you checked the belts, fuses, and tape-tension arms that usually signal the deck that a tape is loaded and ready to play (i.e. is the tape threaded properly)?

NickH
12-16-2008, 02:52 PM
No I don't hear a solenoid when I press play but I do for FF and REW. The belts are fine I have checked all 2 of the, and really only 1 matters. The capstan motor is running as FF and REW works, just play wont engage. I haven't pulled the front off to check the coil though.

I was kind of waiting for some resident expert to chime in,, PLEASE

Nick

NickH
12-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Ok I figured something out. I was playing with the pause switch and noticed the it Fritz's out when I go from FF to play. I have to turn off the machine and turn it back on the sometimes the play works.

Sometimes it doesn't though, I would push the play stop buttons and it would start working again.

I'm starting to lean more toward a dogey play switch.

Any advice?????????????

NickH
12-18-2008, 12:55 PM
I think I have the issue figured out but it will entail re capping the unit.

Nick