PDA

View Full Version : So you don't think 8 tracks are worth anything

Naknut
11-04-2008, 08:46 AM
I know everyone on Tapeheads has an appreciation for most things on tape and their value is more than intrinsic but most people think of them as having no value at all. I have a working 8 track recorder/player on hand but I don't buy 8 tracks unless I see something that looks very interesting. Well I found such an item at least to me. I'd never seen a Sex Pistols 8 track before so I snatched that baby up for 50dy cents. Great condition with supple foam.
The collector/pack rat in me wanted to just stash it away with all the other neat little trophy things I obsess over but the "I need money" for my real collection side decided to put it up on ebay. I have no idea as to what is and is not a collectible in the 8 track world as I have never seen a price guide. Long story short it went for $30.00 US and the buyer was very happy to finally find one. Just goes to show you never know...

clhboa
11-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Punk 8-Tracks are quite collectible (w/"Bollocks" being the holy grail). When I was in high school I worked in a department store. One day we got in a bunch of cutout 8-Tracks. There were a ton of copies of "Bollocks" in this batch. Not being too into the Pistols I passed on them and bought "Hotel California" and "The Long Run" instead. They were $2.99 each. Well in hindsight I wish I'd have scarfed them all up. I've seen them go for around $100.00. Another type of very collectible 8-Track are the post-'82 record club only issue tapes. Look on ebay for what copies of Def Leppard's "Pyromania" or Van Halen's "1984" go for. The most I have paid for a tape was $60.00 for a sealed record club issue of "Guitars, Cadillacs etc." by Dwight Yoakam. I lost out on a sealed copy of Steve Earle's "Guitar Town" that went for $71.00.

Larry N
11-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Its amazing how much you can get out of certain 8 track tapes. Never Mind the Bullocks is one of them. See part of a 8 track article below.

So what kind of collector value are those 8-tracks in your collection? As always, it depends on artist and condition of the unit. John Lennon's Two Virgins is a nice 8-track to find, as is the Sex Pistols' Never Mind The Bullocks. According to the 8-track FAQ, there is an apocryphal story that someone in Texas sold a copy of Never Mind The Bullocks for $150. Upon hearing this, another collector, who was fed up with high prices, offered and sold his copy of Never Mind The Bullocks for a penny!

I for one have never found any rare collectibles although I have found a number of 8 tracks that are just wanted by people because that Artist is thier favorite. Theres a lot of people who will pay a good price for Elvis carts, The Beatles, older country western stars and rock tapes. Worth is the price they are willing to pay because they want it and enjoy it. The good thing about 8 trackin is its an affordable hobby, .25 or .50 cent tapes or a box of 100 for $2.00 at a yard sale, sometimes you'll find one tape that will pay for 20 yard sales. Are 8 tracks worthless, not at my house, BTW that is my opinion not my better halfs.

Larry N

clhboa
11-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Oh yeah I forgot to mention the really high prices quad tapes can go for.

Scorpion8
11-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Somebody somewhere collects something and wants it bad. That's eBay in action for you. It's valuable to that person, and they're willing to pay for it. Long live capitalism....

stuwee
11-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Try to keep your hands from shaking as you pay the vendor .50 cents *bananadance*

*yikes**omg* http://www.8trackheaven.com/sinatrajobim.html

They're out there folks, Rob, great score! And you made the buyer happy too, good karma!!

hakka26
11-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Try to keep your hands from shaking as you pay the vendor .50 cents *bananadance*

*yikes**omg* http://www.8trackheaven.com/sinatrajobim.html

They're out there folks, Rob, great score! And you made the buyer happy too, good karma!!

I remember that. Been looking for it ever since I picked up my first 8-Track player a couple years ago.

Larry N
11-05-2008, 04:47 AM
Nice looking Muntz hakka26. Thats what got me into collecting 8 tracks a Muntz under dash player I put in Olde Leroy the Vw bus.

Larry N

KeithCartridge
11-05-2008, 08:12 AM
Are there any collectors of 8 track tapes who buy the rare tapes and lock it away in a safety deposit box? Back in the days when I had disposable income I spend some pretty major cash buying sealed copies of Wild Gift by X and Unforgettable Fire by U2 and when they arrived the first thing I did was rip off the cellophane and pop it in the player without a regret where if I had a copy of Superman #1 I donít think it would leave the hermetically sealed bag.

clhboa
11-05-2008, 10:23 AM
I don't open factory sealed 8-tracks. I have some that were obviously rewrapped by a distributer somewhere down the line that I don't mind opening. Most of my 8-tracks I own on vinyl anyways. The Dwight Yoakam tape that I paid 60 bucks for I own on lp and the deluxe edition cd. There is no freaking way I plan on opening that one.

stuwee
11-16-2008, 02:57 PM
That Sex Pistol's 8 track is used in Wiki, don't know if the image changes over time. But cool anyway. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8-track_cartridge

Superfly
11-26-2008, 11:59 AM
The most expensive 8track I've seen went for $600 on ebay.
It was the British copy of the quadraphonic 8track of Pink Floyd 'Dark Side Of The Moon'.

That was released as a US pressing but the problem with the quadraphonic US release was that the songs was not in the right order. The first song is 'Money'.
WTF? *eyepop*
How is one to watch The Wizzard of Oz, get stoned and listen to Dark Side Of The Moon in quadraphonic sound if it's not in order?

The British pressing was in the right order.

I've also seen a quadraphonic 8track of Pink Floyd 'Wish You Were Here' go for $256 on ebay.

I've seen a columbia house issue of Madonna 'True Blue' go for $250 on ebay also.

The most I've ever spend on an 8track was $44 for a RCA record club issue of Rush 'Grace Under Pressure'.

8track tapes are awesome! *Hi5*

Nakdoc
12-03-2008, 10:50 AM
I've heard there is a Frank Sinatra 8 track that has the only recorded version of one song, so it is worth $$$$

clhboa
12-03-2008, 02:33 PM
I've read that the "Sgt. Pepper's" 8-track has an extra 20 seconds of music that isn't on the album and is therefore desired by Beatles collectors.

clhboa
12-05-2008, 09:11 AM
I lost some ebay auctions of sealed 8-tracks this past week that went for fairly high dollars.

They were...

Queen-"Queen II" $54.00!!!
Bob Seger-"Noah" $51.00!!!(this one was not quite as surprising since this is a very hard to find album on any format)

Superfly
12-05-2008, 01:07 PM
clhboa:
Why did Queen II go for so much money?
That is a common tape.
I should sell my copy.

Rat44
12-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Maybe its time to convince my wife hers are junk and I will dispose of them for her.*footmouth*

clhboa
12-05-2008, 09:38 PM
clhboa:
Why did Queen II go for so much money?
That is a common tape.
I should sell my copy.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Fast Forward
12-06-2008, 06:50 AM
I've heard there is a Frank Sinatra 8 track that has the only recorded version of one song, so it is worth $$$$I heard that particular 8-track went for over 4Gs,,WTF

Dude111
02-15-2013, 05:35 PM
I know everyone on Tapeheads has an appreciation for most things on tape and their value is more than intrinsic but most people think of them as having no value at all.Everything has value TO THOSE WHO KNOW HOW GOOD IT IS remeber that :)

I value VHS movies that have NO DIGITAL COMPROMISING (Digitally Mastered,Digitally Recorded,Dolby Digital,etc) as they sound and look MUCH BETTER -- EXCELLENT as a matter of fact.. (Analogue is MUCH BETTER than digital)

I value ANALOGUE MEDIA over Digital Media (If i can get it) as the experience is MUCH NICER!!

TAGOMAGO
02-16-2013, 05:21 AM
Bob Seger-"Noah" $51.00!!!(this one was not quite as surprising since this is a very hard to find album on any format)

That actually is lower than I would expect given the rarity of that album. Someone copied that one for me off of a clean LP and it is a very hit and miss affair. Apparently Seger was flaking out and some guy named Tom Neme was trying to take control.